recommend me a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Established Member
Reaction score
Still trying to get the 'woodshack' watertight in
Okay folks, here's the deal.
Hopefully, in a couple of months, I'll be looking for a bandsaw. It'll be my first but I dont want to go down the road of 'get a cheap one for now and replace it when I can afford to'. 'Cos I don't know when that will be!
So I'd like some advice from those who own/have owned/have tried any of the following, and their opinions. I've been busy researching and have found a few ( :shock: Hah! :roll: ) that fit the bill and are in the price range of up to £375 give or take a littlle..

E/B BAS316 - £339
Scheppach Basato 3 - £369 (my fave - would like to hear about this one)
Charnwood W720 - £269
SIP 01489 - £289 (pic in latest Traditional W/W but can't find no info)
Record RSBS 14 - £379
DeWalt DW876 - £398 (bit pricey :shock: )
DeWalt DW738 - £234 (too small?? :? )

Well thats what I could find. Can anyone add to that? As I say I'm swinging towards the Basato 3 as many of you really rate the Scheppach table saws and this B/S looks serious and well made. But what do I know?!? Hence the request...

Sorry this is a bit long folks, (Feel free to slap me on the head if it's too long. :D ), but 300+ quid is a fair chunk o'cash and I'd like to spend it wisely.

Ta muchly

Gary <*receives several swift slaps to back of head*>

Gary,

Jet?

Rgds

Noel, in short post mood.

Gary,

Don't own it but the Basato 3 has had a lot of stick here
http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking...LastModified=4675471593557888301&all_topics=1

From someone else once upon a time long ago in another galaxy, there was a lot of unhappiness expressed about the Basato 5 too for that matter..

I think you really need to define what your saw is expected to do in order to size it. Also I fear, you have to readjust your expectations of what to pay for a decent saw of reasonable size.

I have a Kity 613 and its OK but size limited and now Kity is bust. I keep looking at the bigger Jets and the Hammer. All good bandsaws now seem to be made in Italy and budget bandsaws in Chaiwan BTW.

Gary

I have the Charnwood 720 and with a dure edge blade it is superb; quite, smooth has excellent dust extraction and has been no trouble what-so-ever over the last couple of years. Table is hardened aluminuim (same as Kity tablesaw) and fence is easily adjusted for square. Mitre slot is , for once, very good with the bar being a nice snug fit and the mitre has an extruded aluminium section to support longer peices of wood.

In my opinion real value for money.

If I were looking for a different model I would only be swayed by deeper cut depth.

Hope this is useful in some small way :wink:

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony, thats real useful. Just checked the website and there are 2 stockists right here in Peterborough so I'll go down and take a look ASAP.

Chris, thanks for advice. Basato 3 seems a bit hit and miss and at a price, too! 8)

Alf/Noely, I think the Jet site is playing up a bit. When I click on bandsaws it freezes up. :x I'll check again tomorrow.

Great advice once more folks :wink: I'll keep looking so don't stop with the help. Charnwood seems good value though, and it'll free up some cash to spend elsewhere...now where are the C/Mitre saws... :D

Ta muchly,

Gary

Gary,

I have an EB BAS315, the predecessor of the 316 (I think the 315 is the same basic machine as the Record RSBS12, BTW), but the 315 and 316 look pretty similar to me.

Things I like about this b/s:
  • Solid, cast iron table (but it's bl**dy heavy, so you need to watch your back when setting it up!)
  • Nice & quiet
  • Good quality mitre fence (which came with the machine) - carried on a T-slot, giving a snug fit. Can be fitted either side of the fence.
  • Decent throat size and depth of cut (certainly enough for my needs, which is hobby woodwork)
  • Easy access to the top & bottom wheels for adjusting/changing blade and speed.
Things I dislike:
  • The table slant mechanism doesn't provide guide marks for preset angles. I know you shouldn't rely on this anyway (and measure the angle of blade vs. table) but a guide to show you're in the right ballpark would be useful. Perhaps they've improved on this in the 316.
  • The fence mechanism is tightened from one side of the table only, and tends to pull the fence closer to the blade as you tighten up. This makes for painful set-up if you're after very accurate cuts off the fence.
The only real problem I've had with the saw since I bought it (at least 4 yrs ago) is when I inadvertedly carried on using a blunt blade (and had problems with the blade wandering). Last time I let chipboard anywhere near it :oops: This was not a problem with the machine itself, but one of the symptons of using a blunt blade - once I popped in a new one it was good as new. As you've no doubt read elsewhere, the blade is one of the most important parts of any B/S.

Hope that's of some use.

Martin.

Martin,

I've a green EB 315 and agree with most of your points. It's adequate for my needs but guide adjustment is totally rubbish, especially the bottom guides, awkward and too inaccessible. Cast iron table is good and as you mention fence mech is skip material.
It'll be a Jet when the 315 is replaced, with cast iron wheels, micro adjust guide etc.

Rgds

Noel

Noel,

Agreed -- I don't fiddle with the guides that often (not the bottom ones at least) so it didn't spring up as one of my top niggles. Mind you, if I knew the things I know now I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place, but at the time it looked like a pretty decent machine for the money (and it still does a good job despite the niggles).

Unfortunately I will not be replacing it until it has a terminal failure of some sort (either that or I win the lottery - which I don't bother playing any more, so fat chance of that :( ) - SWMBO gives me enough grief when I end up buying "new" toys, let alone replacing the ones I've already got...so I'll need a bl**dy good excuse :twisted:

Cheers,
Martin

i've got the DeWalt DW738 - I'm happy enough with it not to want to rush out and change it, but not sure I could recommend it against the reasoning of other responses. Fence is not great, table tilt doesn't have any prestops but i've seldom tilted the table anyway.

But I have successfully ripped 6 inch thick cherry (albeit slowly) with the original blade, its pretty reasonably priced and its fairly light - it normally sits on and old workmate but I can easily lift it out of the way or even carry it outside when I've got long pieces to work on...

just to add to the sum of knowledge...

m

Noely, Martin & MP.
Ta muchly for all your help/comments. :wink:

As Chris said, I guess I have to evaluate what my requirements are from a bandsaw and I suppose the deciding factors are price/value for money; hobby/medium-ish (is this a real word?! :? ) usage; size for workshop.
But then again asking folks like yerselves for opinions waylays most uncertainties by knowing that others are happy with what they use. I suppose it boils down to knowing that you are not simply wasting money and getting the best for your price budget.

Thanks again guys..

Gary

Latest posts

Back