Recommend good one handed clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

Looking to resolve the issue with assembly fumbling, you know where you are trying to clamp something that is slippery due to the glue and you wish you had that extra hand. A single handed clamp looks to be the solution but what ones are people using?

+1 for Bessey I have the ones pcb1962 posted and these DuoKlamp.
I find myself reaching to the Duoklamp in preference most times. Just personal preference they both work well. If the woodworking showa were on I would recomend going along and giving them both a try

I would prefer a hybrid clamp, one handed operated at one end and screw operated on the other, so you can have the convenience of a hand operation, but the power of a screw.

Good but cheap one handed clamps based on the design of the mastic guns. Cheap so you can afford lots of them (3 or 4 for the price of one Bessey). Really light so they genuinely work one handed. Surprisingly durable but limited in jaw opening and throat so only for use around the edges.
Audition a few before buying in 10's. I have ancient screwfix ones that are still going strong and new yellow ones from toolstation that are rubbish.
Not a substitute for a sash cramp but the most used and best value for money clamps.

Good but cheap one handed clamps based on the design of the mastic guns. Cheap so you can afford lots of them (3 or 4 for the price of one Bessey). Really light so they genuinely work one handed. Surprisingly durable but limited in jaw opening and throat so only for use around the edges.
Audition a few before buying in 10's. I have ancient screwfix ones that are still going strong and new yellow ones from toolstation that are rubbish.
Not a substitute for a sash cramp but the most used and best value for money clamps.

I need to buy a load of these for site work, as carting ductile iron around is getting a bit tiresome.

Any one recommend any makes in particular?

I normally have some irwin quick grips around, the heavy duty are excellent for strength, however the medium duty are much better for being lightweight and so truly one handed as someone else said. you can always get a heavier duty clamp in place afterwards.

+1 for Bessey I have the ones pcb1962 posted and these DuoKlamp.
I find myself reaching to the Duoklamp in preference most times. Just personal preference they both work well. If the woodworking showa were on I would recomend going along and giving them both a try

The Bessey DuoKlamps are my most used clamps! Try them, you‘ll like them!

Whilst visiting an Axminster store I was quite taken by their alloy one handed clamps, they were light and had a very strong clamp. I use the new Parkside clamps for lighter work at the moment as they are cheap and clamp reasonably well but no where near as good as Bessey and Axminster. For rougher work I reach for the cheap and cheerful sealant gun types.

Another vote for DuoKlamps.

There's also a place for cheap and cheerful solo clamps (the mastic gun style), just be aware that experienced woodworkers tend to avoid them for use with power tools as vibration can make them suddenly let go.

Bessey EHZ, combine true easy one-handedness with the ability to clamp to decent pressures after the need for one handedness is done.

Depends if you need one-handed adjustment as well. If you find yourself reclamping multiple bits of wood of the same size to the bench or whatever, then there is nothing quicker than the 'mole-grip' type of clamp. I find these excellent. I still use f-clamps, etc for glue-up, etc

5c074b94a80f3822b11ef46d-large.jpg

Some years ago I bought some clarke sash cramps and they are fine. Tried the Clarke light duty one handed quick grips and they were hopeless, fell apart quite quickly.

Subsequently bought the Irwin mini clamps and they have lasted for years and still going strong. Bought a second pair but they disappeared. Not great clamping force but very useful. Toolstation have them for sale at the moment for £8.99 and £9.99 a pair depending on size, stock is a bit hit and miss, I have just bought some of the 6 inch ones from local store.

Some years ago I bought some clarke sash cramps and they are fine. Tried the Clarke light duty one handed quick grips and they were hopeless, fell apart quite quickly.

Subsequently bought the Irwin mini clamps and they have lasted for years and still going strong. Bought a second pair but they disappeared. Not great clamping force but very useful. Toolstation have them for sale at the moment for £8.99 and £9.99 a pair depending on size, stock is a bit hit and miss, I have just bought some of the 6 inch ones from local store.

These are the Irwin ones I have

0AC2CDE7-3EDF-452E-8DB3-CE018F758545.jpeg

Last edited:
Back