Reclaimed Pine Garden Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought some reclaimed wood, it was described as Pitch Pine, I don't exactly know what Pitch Pine is but imagined it would be quality softwood with quite small growth rings.

Anyway I borrowed my mates van and went to pick it up, ooooeeerrr, it was filthy and full of splits, I thought that I had bought a good load of firewood :cry: time ro rip out the gas fire and convert the fireplace back to the original log burning fire :shock:

I didn't take any pics of the wood before I started to clean it up, but I did have a few bits left over

S2400028.jpg

S2400029.jpg

I ran 25 planks 6 feet x 9 inch x 2 inch over the planer and 15 dustbin bags of chippings later, I found that there was some decent wood, well good enough for Garden tables and other outside projects.

I was quite impressed by the endgrain
018.jpg

However, there were one or two parts of the wood that convinced me that it would be used for outdoor projects only.
022.jpg

023.jpg

There wasn't going to be any traditional joints (apart from lap joints on the legs) it was going to to assembled with bolts and screws, like so
019.jpg

021.jpg

I was quite pleased with the end result

016.jpg

017.jpg

Must go, I have to make one for the Outlaws.

Top job Martin, something to be proud of. :lol:

oh yeh like that. Very solid and chunky. Will last a lifetime, I'm sure.

Great job Martin. Nice to see old timber get a new lease on life. What have you finished it with?

Slim":uhuy2rbg said:
Great job Martin. Nice to see old timber get a new lease on life. What have you finished it with?
I have brushed 3 coats of Liberon superior Danish oil with UV protection, not sure if this is the best stuff for outdoor use but I have not been impressed with other outdoor finishes so far, time will tell I suppose.

Gary & WiZeR, thanks for the Thumbs up :D

Nice.I love using reclaimed timber.Looking at the endgrain shows it was slowly grown and after being in use before should be very stable.

Lovely work Martin, looks like those old pitch pine timbers came out a real treat! What kind of effect has all that crud had on the edge of your planer knives? :? You wouldn't get softwood this good if you were to buy it new! :)

OPJ":1pfq01do said:
Lovely work Martin, looks like those old pitch pine timbers came out a real treat! What kind of effect has all that crud had on the edge of your planer knives? :? You wouldn't get softwood this good if you were to buy it new! :)
It done the planer knives no good at all but got some quality wood from it :D

motownmartin":1wpccspq said:
I would like to say that I done them with my favourite hand plane but alas they were done on the Router table, maybe next time.

I'm a firm believer in the end result, not the process, so in my view it matters not a fig. They look great, that's what counts.

Excellent result Martin good work.
It done the planer knives no good at all but got some quality wood from it
I have a cheap hand Bosch electric planer that I use to skim over the surface of dodgy wood before it goes anywhere near my planer. I have a few sets of blades for that on standby in the drawer.

Cheers Alan

motownmartin":3h909xt1 said:

Don't you hate it,

You make something unique, put your hart into it, and you are really proud of what you make

And then, ...

Ohhh can je make one for me too.

Yeah right, actually no i do not want to do that, as you will not appreciate the work effort and time that did go into it, sorry no

Then the wife.... you should be proud that my mother wants you to make one for her. again no iam not proud, i made one unigue for us not for the whole family

Very nice project though. are you making some matching benches or chairs 8) 8)

Nice table, so do the forum members get to test it's load capabilities with some beer glasses...I mean you wouldn't want to see you make another for the outlaws and then find it can't support much weight (I might just be looking for an excuse for a party).

Well done Martin :D

herdsman":3tu4m3ne said:
Nice table, so do the forum members get to test it's load capabilities with some beer glasses...I mean you wouldn't want to see you make another for the outlaws and then find it can't support much weight (I might just be looking for an excuse for a party).

Well done Martin :D
Do you know my outlaws then :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway i'll tell them not to sit on the table.

Woody Alan":9no9s6dy said:
Excellent result Martin good work.
It done the planer knives no good at all but got some quality wood from it
I have a cheap hand Bosch electric planer that I use to skim over the surface of dodgy wood before it goes anywhere near my planer. I have a few sets of blades for that on standby in the drawer.

Cheers Alan
Thats a fine idea, i'll do that next time :oops:

Mcluma":gfnb1rj7 said:
motownmartin":gfnb1rj7 said:

Don't you hate it,

You make something unique, put your hart into it, and you are really proud of what you make

And then, ...

Ohhh can je make one for me too.

Yeah right, actually no i do not want to do that, as you will not appreciate the work effort and time that did go into it, sorry no

Then the wife.... you should be proud that my mother wants you to make one for her. again no iam not proud, i made one unigue for us not for the whole family

Very nice project though. are you making some matching benches or chairs 8) 8)
Everybody wants something because they think its cheap, until you tell them how much the wood costs then off they go to argos.

I don't mind making stuff for Family as long as they pay for the materials.

Yeah,know what you mean.I got a new neighbour recently(she is an undertaker :shock: ) and when she found out i was a joiner,asked me if i could make her a gate.Trying to be neighbourly,said i would do i for the price of the materials.Now 20mm pgtv aint cheap and i wont use anything else for gates.Add the posts,rails,gate capping,screws,nails and furniture,it came to a few bob.When i told her how much she promptly said she could get one from Wickes in a pack and her dad would do it.Suits me i thought.

Back