Reclaimed Parana Pine doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
My regular client has just had a large hallway added to the front of her house and while I was there working on one of the back rooms she asked me if i could make some doors for a starage cupboard in the new hallway. The original downstairs doors are all parana pine with leaded light panels as this quick mobile phone snap shows. One of my rad casings in the corner about to be skipped after 6 yrs, £500 worth of woven grill into the skip :cry:

IMAG0037.jpg

Now parana pine is almost impossible to get hold of these days but luckily I had a few panels from when I ripped out a panelled room in the same house about 3yrs ago but only 6ft long. The other room I am working in yeilded a mantle that was wide enough for the styles but not long enough for the 2.35m high doors so I had to opt for long top and bottom rails and short style which most people would not notice. Even with this approach things were very tight, on the fronts of the styles the veneer is down to 1mm or less!! and I still had to veneer the door linings and architraves as well, luckily a bit of beam casing gave me a very small amount of 10ft board. Glass came from the old front door but there was no usable timber - too many holes, mortices etc to be of use.

PICT0368.jpg

I don't do a lot of large veneering and my bag was too small for the upto 8ft lengths needed. Didn't want to buy a new bag just for one job so I tried the vacuum film from East Coast Fibreglass, this comes as an endless tube at various widths and is sold by the meter. Its thinner than the vac bags but one 3m length did all the work so I will be using that method again.

IMAG0038.jpg

Just been doing some internal shelves today but luckily they are painted MR MDF. Just needs the door handles when she finds something that takes her fancy.

J

Hi, Jason

Very nice.

I have a Parana Pine table top behind my bench that is about 10 feet long and 3 feet wide, I didn't realise it was valuable!

Pete

I did the Dundee University Hall of Residence stairwell handrails and botttom plates, from Parana Pine set on verticle redwood full length runners, five stories in two instances., did'nt realise panana was scarce, just goes to show...bosshogg :)
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." A.E. (hammer)

Racers":2yi5k6ky said:
Hi, Jason

Very nice.

I have a Parana Pine table top behind my bench that is about 10 feet long and 3 feet wide, I didn't realise it was valuable!

Pete

Parana Pine?

I am jealously guarding two 8 footers of 12 x 2
and two of 12 x 1. I want to use it, but then again, I don't... Because there just isn't any more to be had.

The tree relies on its seed being passed through birds, and as a result, it tends to grow as single specimen tree, scattered about and you rarely find a 'stand' of Parana Pine. So that probably explains its scarcity these days. The best source here used to be window board, but now they use a good quality ordinary pine.

Re the growing habits of PP; thought you might like to know that Pete!

Cheers
John :)

Hi, John

Don't think I will be eating off it :shock:

Pete

Racers":3939pe1w said:
Hi, John

Don't think I will be eating off it :shock:

Pete

I thought of making a 'prototype' Hayrake table out of my Parana stockpile! So there's every chance it will be used for dining!

:mrgreen:

John

Back