Reciprocating saw on paving slabs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used a reciprocating saw on concrete slabs? My saw is fairly budget, an einhell one, so not massively powerful, not sure if that will be a limiting factor, also wondering what techniques people have found works best, most likely it will be trimming slabs down to width, not sure if I should be working vertically or horizontally. Should I wet down the slab to control dust? I was thinking of something like this in terms of blade Bosch S1543HM Brick Sabre Saw Blade 240mm. All experience welcomed. Thank you

I don't think that will cut it much better with a 115mm or better still a 9" angle grinder.

Cheers James

I don't think that will cut it much better with a 115mm or better still a 9" angle grinder.

Cheers James
Thats a pity, I thought it might be a less dusty alternative to an angle grinder, I've only got a 115mm grinder and I've never found it brilliant for cutting slabs

Thats a pity, I thought it might be a less dusty alternative to an angle grinder, I've only got a 115mm grinder and I've never found it brilliant for cutting slabs
I would think it’s the cutting disc that makes the difference 👍

I would think it’s the cutting disc that makes the difference 👍
i agree, it would make a lot of difference, but it's firstly the dust and secondly the depth of cut that seem to be the problem (for me), neither of which would be affected much by a different blade. I was hoping a reciprocating saw would be a way around those issues. I might pick up a blade and give it a go anyway, not too big of a gamble at £20

You could fit a diamond blade to a circular saw like this

Attachments

• 36627CDF-E13C-4B71-B701-609907E8B24D.jpeg
    36627CDF-E13C-4B71-B701-609907E8B24D.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 12
  • B1681623-EBC3-49E6-8AA5-9CDE0991852E.jpeg
    B1681623-EBC3-49E6-8AA5-9CDE0991852E.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 11
If you aren't too far from BS37, I have a 9" grinder with diamond blade you may be able to borrow. It's big and heavy, and I wouldn't use it for many hours, but it does cut slabs.

You can get hydraulic slab cutters.
I would uses an 9" angle grinder and a diamond blade. That gets through slabs quickly, but a huge amount of dust. I once had no option but to cut stone under a polythene sheet to control dust, but it's pretty brutal inside the polythene and after about 30 seconds you can't see much.

I doubt if a sabre saw will be capable, but will be interesting to find out. I have never used a diamond blade with water, but it's a common method of cutting, however that's usually with pertol powered cutter. Perhaps you can hire one.
A normal angle grinder and water would be a very dangerous combination.

Forget using a DIY reciprocating saw. The slab has to be properly supported for the saw blade to go through, it takes forever and gets through blades very fast. My next door neighbour is an expert on everything :whistle: and he used one in order to fail to cut some slabs to go around his gate posts.

if you are DIY 9" angle grinder and diamond blades as said above. Support whole slab on a board or the ground. Once deep scored you can usually get a clean break if you are in a rush.

Forget using a DIY reciprocating saw. The slab has to be properly supported for the saw blade to go through, it takes forever and gets through blades very fast. My next door neighbour is an expert on everything :whistle: and he used one in order to fail to cut some slabs to go around his gate posts.

if you are DIY 9" angle grinder and diamond blades as said above. Support whole slab on a board or the ground. Once deep scored you can usually get a clean break if you are in a rush.
I was a hard landscaper in a previous life. This is your answer. Be confident, Don't bend the blade in the cut. Wear steels on your feet and a mask and proper goggles. If you have a pal/Mrs etc you can keep a lot of dust down using a hosepipe with a mist head and them aiming it behind you. Make sure you trust them if you are on 240 and they are wearing ppe too. In my day I'd use a 9" grinder like a scalpel. It's absolutely the tool for the job. None better. Also, cut at a comfortable height and don't ever overstretch. Kickback is a thing and a life changing/ending one at that.

Don't forget a wholly hat. I wondered why builders wore them until I cut some slabs.

Cheers James

I agree with the 9" disc cutter as being the best tool for the job, however I have one of these little makita dustless dry stone cutters and they aren't bad at all - I bought it a while ago to cut 30mm granite worktop with and it easily does that and if you hook it up to a vacuum the dust is negligible - used it recently for chasing a wall indoors and had hardly any dust off it , far far less than an angle grinder which covers everything! lol

If you aren't too far from BS37, I have a 9" grinder with diamond blade you may be able to borrow. It's big and heavy, and I wouldn't use it for many hours, but it does cut slabs.
very generous offer, thankyou. to be honest I've not got any immediate need, my original post was more of a hyperthetical, thought a masonary blade might be a useful addition to my reciprocating saw that I could see me using for a few cuts a year. seems like the general consensus is that it is a non starter, I've got a small grinder and a suitable disc which will see me through most jobs I'm likely to want to tackle.

Back