Recent Plane Reviews....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Lee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -

I’ve been following, with interest, the series of reviews Alf has been posting on the Veritas plane line. On this side of the pond, we had no idea that she would eventually run through “almost” the entire line, as BriMarc had arranged the reviews.

A most of you have already commented – the reviews are well done, well illustrated, and represent a tremendous amount of effort – all, to my understanding, performed cheerfully without compensation.

Just last week – as a token of appreciation (and in the interest of completeness) we sent her the two planes missing from the series of reviews…the low angle Jack plane, and the Bullnose – neither of which BriMarc currently have, as they have just been released. Unlike the other planes she’s reviewed, these don’t have to be sent back.

Until now, we’ve had nothing to do with the Alf’s reviews, but feel it only fair to post this note stating that isn’t case for the next two planes…not that I expect she’ll be anything but impartial and forthright – as she has been for six sets of reviews.

It’s important to note that this is very much an exception – reviewed product is almost always returned, retained for long term test in a magazine shop, or donated to a local school. In this case, we felt the circumstances warranted something different – and I trust you’ll all agree it was well deserved.

Cheers –

Rob Lee
President
Veritas Tools Ltd.,
Lee Valley Tools Ltd.

Cheer Rob,
I agree with you-She has earned them! :D
Nice work that Girl!
And thanks for your generosity Rob.
Philly :D

Well done Rob, that is very generous. As you say, they are well deserved :)

NeilCFD

My colleague Keith visited Alf today to collect the samples as GMC wanted them amongst others. Alf refused the drop test on to the concrete floor despite Keith pleading!

Now come on...they are only tools!
Martin

Rob,
Good for you! That is a very generous gesture and I for one applaud it.

Alf,
Ok - now it's your chance to show us what your made of! Give us the real inside story on this new pair of planes!

(Actually I don't expect she'll have any problem at all doing that- small sigh - she's just tooo perfect)

Hey well done ALF, does that mean (cough) that two planes you already own will become redundent? Or just moved to a different glass cabinet (cough) shelf? :wink:

Adam

What can I say? :oops: How about, for starters:

Meep, bloomin' meep! :D
dasgloat.jpg

Thank you times lots and lots to Rob for this exceedingly generous opportunity to be damning and critical* about his latest "babies"; I'll try not to go on about the rear tote too much this time... :wink: Fear not, folks, I'll aim to be as fair and unbiased as ever. I wouldn't care to show my face round here if I wasn't, not least 'cos you'd spot a load of blarney at 100 yards. :roll: I feel a nice long endurance test coming on... :twisted:

Hey Martin; Miller Dowels! How'd you know? Excellent; I've been wanting to try them. Ta muchly. :D And it's true, virtually the first words Keith uttered were "Martin says I'm not to leave without you dropping a plane first". :lol: Could I do it? Not likely. Okay, so it wouldn't have broken, but it might have bent, and it would have got dinged... :cry: "Only tools"?! Not surprisingly he didn't suggest the same test for the MicroFence I now get to play with for a while - after a lengthy perusal of the video first methinks. At first glance it sort of reminds me of the Woodrat somehow. Good Thing? :shock:

S'good fun this reviewing business, eh? Many thanks to both Lee Valley, BriMarc and Charley for giving me the opportunity. Now where's the thesaurus gone...? :?

Cheers, Alf

*Only if required, naturally. :D

Alf,

Just a small reminder. Sharpen the things properly, raise the bench to a proper height and then tell us about the tote.

(If it works then please let me know how I can sharpen my planes and raise my bench height without too much trouble.)

ROTFL, Chris. :lol: I was thinking maybe a small pit dug in front of the bench and stilts for using all the other planes. :wink: Seriously though, I did think this might be an opportunity to see how much leeway there is for a custom made tote. But I'll see how we go; the proper one may grow on me. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":23t4buze said:
But I'll see how we go; the proper one may grow on me. :D
Cheers, Alf

When it's free, it's always feels/tastes/looks/works/runs/etc better.

Adam

Not likely; it's always feels/tastes/looks/works/runs/etc better when it's cost me a fortune and I don't want to feel like I've spent my money on a lemon. :wink:

Alf":1yvkra0o said:
(snip)

And it's true, virtually the first words Keith uttered were "Martin says I'm not to leave without you dropping a plane first". :lol: Could I do it? Not likely. Okay, so it wouldn't have broken, but it might have bent, and it would have got dinged... :cry: "Only tools"?!

(snip)

Hi Alf -

Guess they arrived OK... :)

No worries on the drop tests - we'll send some machined "seconds" over to BriMarc for just that purpose.... about 1 in 30 or so castings has porosity (pin holes) which can only be found at the final finishing stages...no point in dropping a perfectly good plane...

Cheers -

Rob

Uh, Rob? I'll volunteer for that drop test! Finally something for which I qualify! :lol:

I join the others in gratitude for your generosity and Alf's. I appreciate your disclosure as well even though we all know and respect your integrity and recognize the spirit of your gift.

This is another example why the handtool community is great!

ummm... Rob... you realise that by encouraging Alf to keep "raising the bar" here, we're gonna have to "send da boys round"...

Just when the rest of us are thinkin this review stuff is a breeze...

Excellent gesture tho... she deserves 'em...

<mutterin....

:wink:

Errrrr. What do I say that others haven't already?

Nice one Rob, very generous andthoughtful reward for fine reviews and looking forward to the next review Alf.

So how big is the plane collection now? :wink:

Cheers

Tony

Come on then, we've got to ask, ALF, how many planes do you actually own?

Adam

Along the lines of...(so it's understandable to the likes of me :roll: )

#4.5 (1xLN, 1xLV, 1 x stanley, 1 x record, etc etc

#7 (1 x record, 1 x stanley....

#bullnose (1 x LV, 1 x stanley...

Rob
What they all said :D
Thanks for the disclosure.

Oooooo you lucky girl, Alf! Well deserved!

Back