reccomendation for planer knive sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there I have just finished recon an old elu dah176 with obscure double edged knives 210 x 16 x 3mm looking for a reccomendation for a company to sharpen them. Few nicks etc and pretty blunt but can't source new ones unless I spend £150. Any advice or recomendations welcome.
Alasdair

Hi there I have just finished recon an old elu dah176 with obscure double edged knives 210 x 16 x 3mm looking for a reccomendation for a company to sharpen them. Few nicks etc and pretty blunt but can't source new ones unless I spend £150. Any advice or recomendations welcome.
Alasdair
Seems to be plenty of local services: saw doctor inverness - Google Search try the college and get it done for nothing?

This was my solution for my Dewalt Planer. I cut 2 slots into MFD at the angle marked on the end (for future reference). The slots are a tight fit when I insert the blades. I then set the unit on the bench (as seen in photo), then use a diamond honing stone stroking down the length resharpening both blades at once. This method works well for me. I have a similar lapper for my jointer knives.

It can also be used by sticking abrasive on a flat surface, then inverting the whole thing to sharpen them.

I was told once at a woodworking show that planer and jointer knives only need to be sharpened to 600 grit.
Garys Planer Blade Lapper.jpg

Have thought about making a jig but the blades are pretty worn and I reckon need reground on a machine first. After that I reckon could sharpen them myself when needed. The cutting face on both sides is only slightly notched but they are also most worn/blunt in the middle with almost no wear at the ends. I Can get new ones from hobbelmesser.de for 100 euros per pair but no idea of the import duty or how to find out and carriage. They charge 15 euro to Ireland but they say non eu have extra customs duty and fees. Dont mind paying a reasonable carriage cost but need to find out if there is any import duty and how much.

I forgot to say that when using it on a bench (as in photo)... you can use a single cut file to draw file the heavy nicks out. To do this, you hold the file at 90 degrees to the knives and stroke down the length, applying even downward pressure. Using a file this way will quickly remove the steel... then you can hone the knives for a finer finish. You can use this method to carefully remove the high spots as well as inverting it and using the flat surface method.

I am sure you can measure the knives and find a supplier that has knives that will work. Search "jointer and Planer knives".

Your measurements convert to aprox. 8-1/4" x 5/8" x 1/8"

Here in USA it is probably attainable. Seems like a standard jointer size.

Last edited:
I used NLS tools to sharpen planer blades and saw blades recently, happy with the service they provided

Thanks for the replies. They are only available from germany as they have a different fixing system to anything else and so far no-one will post to uk. Will try the local saw service but as its the only set I have I don't want them to make a bad job of them. Heres a picture of the profile 210mm x 16mm x 3mm groove is 2mm wide and 1mm deep
1645719529342.png

The groove registers the blade in the head for the correct protrusion. Think of it as a disposable blade. You get two edges, that you might get a couple sharpening before it won't cut properly, then you put in new ones. There are a couple threads that the OP started recently about the blades, trying to find sellers and to get some made.

Pete

These seem to be resharpenable as there are a row of grub screws in the holder that the groove sits in to adjust the height of blade within the head. Not sure how many times they can be sharpened before replacing but they were at the lowest setting when I removed them. The holder is then held in place with a row of internal horizontal bolts. New ones are only listed on a german website Wesema.de as specificly for ELU DAH 176. They are not the same as ones sold online listed for this machine. Still trying to work out how to get a new set from germany but can't work out what customs and duty etc. Have emailed the company but I assume that sending them to the UK is too much hassle as havent heard back.

No afraid not the ones on ebay are the right length but dont have the groove and are too thin. I can only think mine is fitted with a resharpenable option which are no longer made. Although just noticed they fit the Elu EPT1901. Just wondering if the holder would fit my machine? Will see if I can fnd the holders second hand and see if they fit.

Hi Alasdair,
I recently got an old elu dah 176 from a shed find.
I have cleaned it up and it is running quite well although it could do with new blades,

I have read your posts and others and wondering how you went to with this.
Mu blades are the same as yours with the groove along the back.

I am in australia
Thanks for all the info

Alasdair
If you want to order from Germany I don't mind taking them in, I'm in Italy, and can forward them to you. Just remember there might be tax to pay when you receive them. MikeK did the same for me only reversed. Wealden sent him some bits and he forwarded them to me so I am happy to help. Postage from Italy is also more expensive than RoyalMail.

Back