Reassurance for the addicted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought you might all like this: my dentist is a great bloke, and we're always chatting when I go in - I was trying to use his binocular digital microscope to photo some of my blade sharpening experiments, but it's actually a lower magnification than I've got on my digital microscope...

Anyway, this got us talking about tools. Turns out his grandfather was a pattern maker, and he told me something that grandad had said that I've often suspected in an amateur way, but it was nice to have it confirmed.

The line was about the old one of 'a poor workman always blames his tools'. The patternmaker's response was 'yes, but a craftsman wouldn't even attempt the job with those tools', and he said that his meaning was quite clear - a craftsman may well produce better work than an silly person with a given tool, but he also knows and appreciates the value of good tools for fine work.

Yee haa - go out and spend!!!

Now there's a fellow I could have got along with... Mind you, and this is a theory so apply salt as required, it's noticeable that patternmakers always seem to have the best tools, presumably because of the tolerances they worked to and the fact their kit was always in the safer workshop enviroment. Boatbuilders often have some of the worst in my limited experience, but when you think of the enviroment the tools had to deal with it makes sense. So spend, spend, spend on your workshop first. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Ooh - I dunno Alf - take a look at Bob Smalser's kit on woodnet, often photographed under canvas 'lean tos' or in the open.... The guy's a boatbuilder, who actually proves the point in some ways - total knowledge of how to fettle, make, adapt and use tools...

Shady":3gdcchr6 said:
Ooh - I dunno Alf - take a look at Bob Smalser's kit on woodnet, often photographed under canvas 'lean tos' or in the open.... The guy's a boatbuilder, who actually proves the point in some ways - total knowledge of how to fettle, make, adapt and use tools...
He totally proves my point, I reckon. He'll fettle, make and adapt, but he won't buy the best tools currently available. Famed for it. :lol: But then if I was working under canvas, or taking my tool kit on and off a boat all the time, I wouldn't be buying L-N chisels and such either. But in a humidity controlled enviroment that the tools never left, like a patternmaking workshop? Bring on the Clarke and Williams! :)

Cheers, Alf

dedee":wokntqak said:
Alf":wokntqak said:
But in a humidity controlled enviroment
Talking of which how is your workshop humidity since the dehumidifier purchase?
Andy
Better, although I think I may still be sucking the walls dry to some extent. Thanks for asking. :)

Cheers, Alf

Better, although I think I may still be sucking the walls dry to some extent.

Yes, but what about the dehumidifier? :shock: :lol:

Latest posts

Back