Rear handle for plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me where I might source A rear handle (wooden) for A stanley No 4?

My father gave me the No 4 he found at the bottom of an old tool bag he used to use while working as A joiner 30 years ago. The plane came up really well thanks to A lot of advice I received here (thanks by the way) ,the only thing that needs replacing is the rear handle.

Was thinking of buying A faithfull brand handle...but doesn't feel right some how after this plane lasting so many years (was given to my father by his).

'greatfull for any help. Phil.

They are fairly common on eBay but I suspect that's because nasty tool-abusing people have decided they can get more cash by breaking up planes and selling the parts separately.

The nicer approach, especially in honour of your Dad, is to make your own. It's not that hard. Good woods include beech, apple, walnut, rosewood, pear, cherry, or anything you have a thick enough offcut of.

Top tip is to drill the hole first, before you make the angled cuts. Make the shape with a bandsaw or coping saw followed by spokeshaves and rasps. There are some good descriptions / tutorials on here.

Just thinking that for the sake of completeness you have a couple of options for a Stanley handle
1) Buy off Ebay
2) Buy from an old tool restorer or someone from here who has a collection of old bits they might sell...ask in Sale or Wanted
3) Stanley still have in their catalogue parts for many old planes inc. handles. Look up the catalogue and have a butchers....worst case is you may have tom buy from Stanley US.

regards

Al

If all else fails Axminster sell rosewood handles (front and rear as a set) will suit a no4 about £23 from memory

Ray Isles sells a huge range of spare handles for chisels and planes, a rear handle for a Bailey-type plane in Rosewood being £12.50. He does a very comprehensive range of replacement blades for planes, and various hard-to-find new tools as well. His website is www.oldtoolstore.com - well worth a perusal.

Have a go at making your own.[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/al...gate_52/Woodwork Planes/th_P1010835.jpg[/img][/url]
P1010835.jpg
[/img]

If you do decide to make your own, Lee Valley (Veritas) offer detailed plans for plane totes for several sizes of Stanley plane, here:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=63262

I haven't made such a replacement myself from these layouts, so I can't personally swear they are accurate - but I doubt Veritas would publish (and leave on-line for several years) something like this if it didn't work.

Back