REALLY not happy with AXMINSTER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonrms

Established Member
Reaction score
Right,
Really pinappled off with Axminster... Sold my bandsaw after being told that they have plenty of the 400ns in stock...

Ok great.. its getting picked up on sunday...

Now called them today to order.... after recieving my normal monthly email about offers etc...
I was told that they had them instock and I was a bit miffed because they said they are going to charge me £40+ for delivery... WHAT.... what.. delivery free?? well not for large goods.... OK fine.. I bit the bullet and said here is my card...

took all details only to be told.. SORRY OUT OF STOCK TILL NOVEMEBER.

This is the SECOND very bad experiance I have had with them.. first was when I recieved my bandsaw.. the first one I recieved was badly damnaged... now this.

ARRRGH :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

so any suggestions on a 2 hp bandsaw (trade rated) that is under the 600 mark?

JPT thank you.. I think thats not a bad comparrison to the axminster one.... I am really chuffed... as it will work out about the same price total.. and you still get a blade free

one beer pint for you sir... dang.. your close as well.. so I will have to honour it!!!

If you send Richard a PM

his user name on our forum is Richard@Axminster

He normally reads most of our posts

I cant vouch for SIP products but have in the past used a Axminster saw , it was well made and good quality

I now have Hammer saw 8)

jpt":3u7owy38 said:
Sip have a good offer on at the moment their pro 14" 2hp for 1/2 price at £602.

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/industrial_band_saw.html about halfway down the page

john

When SIP launched that Bandsaw I had one in my workshop for a couple of months whilst I reviewed it for the woodworker and found that it was just as capable as my Axminster Plus 4300 - the blade that comes with the bandsaw is rubbish but put a tuffsaw blade on it and you will not be dissappointed.

Rog

Hi,

Sorry you have had a bad experience with Axminster. Can you please PM me your details and i will investigate for you.

Regards,

Richard.

Axminster have pulled through after a email to them... and I have to say that although it was mental this morning.. it was delivered.

I have recruited a friend to help me assemble the basics of it quickly and remove it from its rather large wooden box... and all appears to be ok.

I am thankfull as I need to get this into action asap... My little buisness is dependant on it.

ooh and I gotta place another order with them soon anyway... gotta get a dust extractor... forgot to buy one... tut tut...

thats me all scattered.. thank you axminster for understanding my problem and then sorting it out quickly.

Am I missing something here - the instock\out of stock confusion I can understand - the webpage clearly says Axminster transport only £49. What made you think it was for free?

Dibs

I wasnt looking at the website.. and in the cataloge it says all orders over X amount of pounds are free.. but because this is a LARGE item.. axminster deliver it themselfs and charge you.

I see what your looking at on the website now... but didnt see that in the cataloge.

I paid the £49 delivery charge and got assistance getting and fitting it into the workshop and help fitting the c.i. table on the 450n

jonrms":g6wpedrc said:
I wasnt looking at the website.. and in the cataloge it says all orders over X amount of pounds are free.. but because this is a LARGE item.. axminster deliver it themselfs and charge you.

I see what your looking at on the website now... but didnt see that in the cataloge.

If you think Axminster are rubbish - you should place a few orders with Rutlands and then see how you get on?

I bought a fairly large (415 Kg) Milling machine a while back that I could have bought from any one of at least three different vendors but what swung it for me was FREE delivery from Warco. I also buy more stuff from companies that charge realistic postal rates. Sadly I only buy from Axminster if it's going to exceed £50 - if not I buy elsewhere.

I should add that the delivery guy from Warco was extremely helpful and wheeled the mill exactly where I wanted it and unloaded it.

well I have to say that I thought the delivery guy from axminster would help out after reading other peoples posts.. it was put in my workshop and then left for me.. now partly I think because I was in a rush and trying to get my 2 boys ready for school..

As I said I have had problems with axminster before... and even when trying to order this bandsaw.. but they delivered it... ok I unpacked it with a friends help so far.. and have alot of setting up to do.

also have to go through every bolt and nut as I already found some tiny issues... but apart from that its ok.

I needed this size motor for what I do. Axminster have it right for the price.. and thats why I used them... and I will use them again with the dust extractor.. I need one that isnt bulky so I will be buying one I seen from another member of another forum and it works well appearantly.

but hey.. I got my blade spare as advertised and so far all parts are there... even 4 things that look like bushings.. that I have no idea where they go.... will have to call axminsters tech team and ask... because I am baffled. not in the book and have no idea... also the blade is touching the centre plastic guard... I think I will have to take the table off and reset it but only after undoing the bottom U shaped bracket to move it across as I think thats the cause... its all fun and games.. and things you have to know about.. I suppose.

Those four bushes are needed when you use a narrow blade so Axminster told me when I queried the same thing for the 450n.

Dont know if they can still be installed if using wider blades so avoiding the service when on narrow ones.

Perhaps you could ask?

thanks for that.. both blades I have are 1/2 inch... so I assume there not needed.. but before I fire the girl up I will run though all the bushings... ensure the blade is lined up properly.. and do all the usual checks.

I will have to get used to it.. as I will be buying blades every month... eeek!

so I will call there tech team when I am ready and ask the same question.. but where the heck do they go? and really how much thinner of a blade would you put on your 450 or my 400??? both I wouldnt use less than 1/2 inch on them.

anyway thanks again for the heads up.. I appreciate it.

Rather than fit my 1/4" blade the other week to cut one of my tissue box apertures I used my jig saw, so I await your advice on that subject :wink: :mrgreen:

BTW the super fast blade from tuff saw, (mine is 3/4" ) is a cracker, tension and bearing pressure does not really seem to matter if you have control of the timber going past the blade with bandsaw experience.

I laugh.. because the tension indicator was dangling.. so I have no idea of how to adjust the tension reading so its true.. will have to go by feel I think.

jonrms":2icikf2q said:
I laugh.. because the tension indicator was dangling.. so I have no idea of how to adjust the tension reading so its true.. will have to go by feel I think.

Yes my tension indicator dangles as well and also on the 450n :wink:

Why they had to make it in two sections, I suppose it could be changed to a single length, but as I found earlier a super fast blade seems to work well at most reasonable tensions.

Just thought I would update you all as to the whats happening...

well after it arrived I had alot of problems.. never even started it.. called axminster who agreed to send a engineer down after I made a video and took many photos for them..

anyway engineer came spent 3 hours here and finally gave up... too much to fix with it.. so he called his boss etc... anyway new bandsaw is getting delivered to me next week... which is ok.. no rush.. I got my orders out and have plenty extra..... incase of new orders. so covered.. so thats me... hope you are all ok btw.. !!!! :)

This lack of quality control bothers me - you regularly see e-bay auctions from Axminster of stuff which has been returned to them as sub-standard.

It's ok (ish) for people who know what they're looking for; they'll just get onto Axminster and it'll be resolved (as here by the OP). But somebody who is a bit green might think they're doing something wrong and put up with a sub-standard machine, which isn't on.

Latest posts

Back