Really interesting day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just got back from a day at the Furniture trade show at the NEC, all 5 halls of it.

It’s really interesting to see the quality (ah hem) of some of the stuff which I assume most of which is imported. Really made me feel quite proud of the bits that I have made!

Also interesting to see what is fashionable. I expected to see lots of white wood furniture, but it seems to have gone retro again, with pieces in mixed colours and textures.

It’s free to get in as long as you have a trade address to use, running for the next few days.

Used to go to this regularly until about 8 years ago. I can clearly remember being both slightly amazed and a little despondent when I first saw the Chinese representatives selling fully upholstered leather dining chairs, if bought in the right volume, which wasn’t at all ridiculous, for about £25.00 a chair. They were utter rubbish. Knock down construction, cheapest foam interiors and plastic-like reconstituted leather. However, to the uninitiated the looked very similar to those being produced by a colleague. I was charging him more to lacquer the legs than the whole chair cost to produce in China.

There was of course some rather better produced stuff there too. They also used to have the lighting show running at the same time, which was excellent.

Back