Ready to kit out my workshop ... It's taken 3years to get here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jony*5

Reaction score
Hi.
I've been building a garage for 3 years and finally got the (concrete) lid on it. All my tools are in the house and now its time to move them out and buy some big power tools... My garage is slightly larger than 6m x 7m and I dont think it will see a vehicule in it any time soon.

A byproduct of building the garage is that I have 1.4km of 6*2 timber, 36 sheets of 25mm 8*4 ply and 80 acro props!!!

I think I I will probably need a replacement for my aging tablesaw, a bandsaw and a planer thickneser for starts (I have 32A single phase supply).

I'm looking for either new or s/h for something like.....

Sartrite TS1/ Record TS2/ Segwich TS315 / Laguna Fusion 3 / Felder K700 (preferably 12")
Jet 310HH / Hammer As 31
Good 14" bandsaw
Router table

Any pointers/suggestions/contacts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Enjoy that feeling ! The most valuable asset in a workshop is floor space and the next most valuable is wall space. Whatever you buy plan to have it connected to a central extractor - that would be my first priority.

Pardon me for asking but how did you amass so many acro's o_O , Dust extraction and mobile bases for your new machines (y):)

Hello and welcome.

Sounds like exciting times ahead, we will all happily help you spend your money!

Some nice kit you list there, I would add a Sedgwick planer and SCM Minimax panel saw and planer as options if you are aiming at that level of kit.

So are you going for a spiral block in the planer, that always starts a good debate :unsure:

If you are looking at the industrial level machines there are often good deals on three phase machines which you can run off your single phase supply using an inverter.

First off, if you got a concrete roof ( presumably block and beam? )
How is it all finished? Any insulation? Before you load up with kit, sort out the electrics, lighting, and as mark b said, dust extraction points.
So i guess you need to do a layout for the machines so you can put sockets, lights and dust points in the right places

Have fun

Lordy, I'd suggest a long rest 😉

Meanwhile you haven't said whether 3ph is an option? Also what do you intend to do with your new kit e.g. resawing, dimensioning full panels etc. I agree with @baldkev on finalising the layout but I guess you can do that whilst waiting for all the kit to arrive.

Pardon me for asking but how did you amass so many acro's o_O , Dust extraction and mobile bases for your new machines (y):)
I bougth 100 2 years ago, 20 are buried in concrete underpinning, the rest are supporting my 8" thick concrete roof for 28days whilst it dries out.

Hello and welcome.

Sounds like exciting times ahead, we will all happily help you spend your money!

Some nice kit you list there, I would add a Sedgwick planer and SCM Minimax panel saw and planer as options if you are aiming at that level of kit.

So are you going for a spiral block in the planer, that always starts a good debate :unsure:

If you are looking at the industrial level machines there are often good deals on three phase machines which you can run off your single phase supply using an inverter.
Spiral would be preferable, if only for the reduction in noise!

First off, if you got a concrete roof ( presumably block and beam? )
How is it all finished? Any insulation? Before you load up with kit, sort out the electrics, lighting, and as mark b said, dust extraction points.
So i guess you need to do a layout for the machines so you can put sockets, lights and dust points in the right places

Have fun
All the electrics were buried in the poured concrete walls at 50mm deep. I have 10 double 13a all around the perimeter and 2 32A in the middle of 2 opposing walls. Floor/Walls/Roof all cast concrete, no insulation except in my lockup room (2.5mx6m)

Lordy, I'd suggest a long rest 😉

Meanwhile you haven't said whether 3ph is an option? Also what do you intend to do with your new kit e.g. resawing, dimensioning full panels etc. I agree with @baldkev on finalising the layout but I guess you can do that whilst waiting for all the kit to arrive.
3ph is not an option unless an inverter is a possibility, I guess you could convert 32A single phase to xA 3 phase with an inverter? Is that a costly option?

Glad you’re alive Jony 5, sorry bad film reference from my youth. Did you build a garage or a bomb shelter from your description!

Don’t forget benchs in your plans, a workbench if you plan handtool work or at least and assembly bench if it’s all machine based.

Give us an ideas of what you plan to make would help us spend your money. Personally I like M&T joinery and love my Sedgwick morticer.

You could get a decent rotary phase converter 5hp on your supply and power 3phase machines. They are not cheap though, c. £1500 for that size. Otherwise is individual inverters on each machine and all the accompanying wiring changes.

What about heating Your shop Jony*5 , going to be cold in there :eek: and your machines will thank you for it in the years to come:)

Should add Hello and Welcome :)

Last edited:
Floor/Walls/Roof all cast concrete, no insulation except in my lockup room (2.5mx6m)

I strongly suggest insulating the roof as a minimum..... that should help. If it's possible, maybe fire a rad in there plumbed into your house.

Before rushing out and spending, a little time to see what is available 2nd hand. Keep an eye out on the various industrial auction sites like BPI etc. You can find some pretty good kit at a reasonable price. just remember the premium and collection costs.
give a bit of time to think about your work process, the order you tend to do things and the what machinery would best fit both in terms of physical size and the location in the workshop. Given a space like yours I would tend to work anti clockwise around the workshop starting at the bottom right corner moving to the back right and then across and down the left wall of a rectangle for example. I would then look at getting machines I could position in that order with all the working heights at the same level to enable each machine to provide in/outfeed support if possible. That way i can keep the centre clear or place an assembly or handworking bench there.

hth

Before rushing out and spending, a little time to see what is available 2nd hand. Keep an eye out on the various industrial auction sites like BPI etc. You can find some pretty good kit at a reasonable price. just remember the premium and collection costs.
give a bit of time to think about your work process, the order you tend to do things and the what machinery would best fit both in terms of physical size and the location in the workshop. Given a space like yours I would tend to work anti clockwise around the workshop starting at the bottom right corner moving to the back right and then across and down the left wall of a rectangle for example. I would then look at getting machines I could position in that order with all the working heights at the same level to enable each machine to provide in/outfeed support if possible. That way i can keep the centre clear or place an assembly or handworking bench there.

hth
Thanks for the heads up on BPI. Any other url links to useful sites would be appreciated. Im not 100% sure what im going to do in my garage/shed/bunker, but it will probably include making shelves/storage units/doors/tables for starters. Im after some welding gear too so everything needs to be well organised.

I plan to have a full length bench 6.4m down one wall and probably incorporate my dewalt dws780, but that would mean 800mm deep due to the sliders. Not sure whether to stick to the mobile leg stand 🤪

In a 6M x 7M workshop I would go down the Track Saw / MFT table route rather than getting a table saw, unless you need to do a lot of repeatable cuts. The table saw will pretty much use up your entire space if you have it in the middle, and if you don't you're only going to be able to do shorter cuts, or you could put it close to the door and work with the doors open for longer cuts, but then noise and dust may become an issue.

I have a 7M x 10M space and have recently ditched my small table saw in favour of the Mafell MT55CC and the UKJ Parf guide Mk2 system which enables me to make any size of MFT table top. This means I can have an 8x4 table top which folds against the wall when I'm not using it and with a good selection of dogs and clamps I have a highly accurate and versatile system. This is an expensive track saw set up, but a cheap table saw alternative - I was looking at the Hammer K3 table saw, a great machine but I just don't have the space and don't do enough repeating cuts to justify it.

I also have the Hammer N3700E bandsaw, which is a wonderful tool to use.

I have the Triton TRA001 router and their TWX7 router table module which I put into my own top - they sell an MFT table but it is a ridiculous price!

And definitely put at least 100mm of Kingspan / Celotex or similar insulation on the ceiling and walls - it will transform the space!

Fun times ;-)

Apologise in advance for straying slightly OT but I am interested in your shop construction. What drove your choice of cast concrete? I plan to build a workshop which has been delayed through illness and other projects. I have the land, but due to being on the side of a hill the plan is to cut into the bank and have a subterranean workshop approx 7m x 7m. An existing patio would be relaid over the roof of the new workshop. The back wall and two sides will be completely below ground level but the front is level with my drive. Did you have a similar challenge? It needs to be waterproof and for once I won't build it myself but interested in your experience using cast concrete. Do you have any pictures?

Back