Ready Mixed Red Mortar Patch/Pointing Repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Any ideas please?

I know I can mix up mortar with cement dye, but I just wondered if there is a ready mixed option in red that I can use and then keep in my armoury.

For example, I've got a screw that has pulled out of a soft red brick that's taken a bit of brick with it. I just want to fill in the hole and re-drill to put the screw back. So, I don't really need 5kg of mortar and a 1.25kg tub of red powder, if it can be avoided.

I have found the Stonelux product, but it would be a lot cheaper to buy mortar & dye and throw away what I don't use.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mortar isn't the answer for the problem you describe, Geoff. It sounds like you are trying to get mortar to look like brick, and that will never happen.

I keep a tube of brown frame sealant handy. It matches the red/brown of our bricks fairly well and is quick and easy to apply.

Mortar isn't the answer for the problem you describe, Geoff. It sounds like you are trying to get mortar to look like brick, and that will never happen.

Hi Mike. That was just an example. I have a few broken bricks as well to fix, example in photo. I think this one was painted black at one time.

IMG_2329.jpg

Geoff S the Black May have been left over from the pollution before smokeless zones came in? If you don’t have or cannot get a matching replacement brick may ?I suggest you drill a linked, as near as possible, series of holes all around the brick then use a chisel or TC mortar router and reverse the brick ! It also appears to be built with black mortar rather than cement.
John

Epoxy Milliput. Readily available. Comes in a range of colours and will both bind and fill. Can be worked with power tools when set. I have used it to repair terracotta urns in red and also in white form to repair garden statuary. Excellent stuff. Would not use it on a large area.

Epoxy Milliput. Readily available. Comes in a range of colours and will both bind and fill. Can be worked with power tools when set. I have used it to repair terracotta urns in red and also in white form to repair garden statuary. Excellent stuff. Would not use it on a large area.

Thanks AJB, that also looks interesting. What finish does it dry to, the terracotta specifically?

Cheers

Flat red once given a quick sand or wire brushing. Blends well with terracotta plant pots. I had a very large urn (120cm high) that was blown over in a storm and the top broke off. Repaired it with this. I use it a lot as it is quick and tough and not silly money. I have also used it to repair resin sculptures. It will also take pigments and you can mic colours together (eg add white or black). Adrian

I used coloured mortar to repair a few bricks and it worked fine, in fact I had forgotten about it until I read this so must be a good match!

Your walls look exactly like mine, I live in an Old Victorian school, it has a plinth round and originally had black tuck pointing although there are only bits remaining in areas that are sheltered, I don't fancy re doing it and wouldn't trust the local brickie :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back