Read and weep ALF, Cornwalls a long way......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrrggghhh!!! A #55! There's a #55! Oh woe is me... :cry: "Joiner's tool chest and tools including set of hollows and rounds"! Oh me... I just knew I shouldn't have looked. :roll: Anyone going to this auction could have a lot of fun :wink: Tipster's choice: if anyone's going and is in need of a hand drill (AKA wheel brace), I recommend lot #434. The Footprint 160a comes with a keyed chuck, which can be a real boon on a hand drill, plus it's a beautiful bright blue. Well okay, so that might just be a down side then... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I'm hoping that I might be able to make it down there tomorrow. If I do, apart from some timber I shall be after a couple of hand planes. Ok, I admit it, the only plane that I have to my name is a Stanley Handyman :oops:. Can anyone recommend any from the list that I should look at? How do Stanley compare with Record? There are several of both. Depends a bit on the age I know. I don't want antiques but something that can be cleaned up and actually used. Don't think I'm ready for a #55 yet although looks like it might make a good gloat :lol:. Maybe also want to look for some old chisels that will actually keep their edge. Am I at the top of that slippery slope that everyone keeps referring to?

Oh, might see if I can't get hold of some more clamps as well.

Andrew

Hi folks

If it's any consolation, I went to the auction and found it disappointing :( . Much of the timber was cupped or warped; that which was straight was soaking wet. There were some nice planes (especially a Norris type) but nothing to really whet my appetite. Incidentally, the #55 looked as if it needed a fair bit of restoration. I only attended the viewing and didn't bother to hang around for the auction itself.

One consolation is that there's a smashing butcher's shop in Ledbury just up the road from Pugh's, so we stocked up our freezer instead :) . I believe it either is (or was recently) the national sausage-making champion.

Yours

Gill

I went to the auction and agree with GillD that the entries were generally disappointing BUT (small gloat) I did pick up nine good quality, straight oak boards, 12'6" x 8" x 1.5" - MC 10% on the ends but a bit more inside so they can sit on their stickers in the workshop loft for a while. Don't mind that at £14 per cubic foot. :lol: :D Also picked up six wenge boards, 80" x 16" x 1", lovely and straight and flat and dry, that were milled in 1994! Met the vendor at the sale and he has some more.

Missed the butcher's shop, Gill, but I'll sure look him up next time.

Trev.

Nothing there he says, and then starts a timber gloat... :cry:

Never mind, I do feel a little better now, but sorry to hear it was a disappointment. Well not exactly sorry... :wink:

Andrew, 'fraid I only caught your post after you'd have already gone. Hope you got on okay.

Cheers, Alf

Who's dealer friend hauled out a wooden box with a twinkle in his eye yesterday and said "Got something here you might be interested in". For one heart-stopping moment I thought it was a #55, and my mind raced to think where the nearest cash point was. No such luck; just a very crispy #45. I resisted. :wink:

Sorry for the delay positing this follow up but ?

I did get there and stayed for the sale. Picked up three planks of Ash for 15 squid. Two have some heartwood in the center but was only looking for something to ?play with? so should be able to do something with them. Also a collection 10 foot Ash strips which are destined for use as shelf edging on a large set of office shelves.

Got the Mathieson #4 ½ for 28 pounds. Superficially it looked well cared for but stripping it down after getting it home it looks rather more as if it has had a recent encounter with a polishing mop. So, will take a bit of effort to flatten the sole etc. Still, it looks a good enough plane until I can justify a L-N or Clifton. Better than the old handyman anyhows.

Alf, IIRC the #55 went for around 85 quid. But don?t know if that is a good price or not. Me not being a coll**ctor and all that.

If there is one thing to remember for next time it is that rough sawn timber seems to go for a lot less than something nicely squared and planed although it probably needs some drying as well. I wish I had known that to start with. Also missed out on at least one lot when the auctioneer gave it to the winner of the previous (almost identical) lot for the same price. Bid for the first, not the last.

Of course to seasoned auction hunters a lot of this is probably obvious but it was good fun, worth the trip and I now know what to expect next time.

Andrew

Andrew,

The #55 had four boxes of cutters with it I think? On that basis probably a bargain for them alone. Sob. :cry: :wink:

Dunno about anyone else, but the Mathieson 4.5 came as something of a surprise to me. I don't think of them as Bailey type plane makers at all! Hope it tunes up nicely.

Cheers, Alf
Who isn't a c*ll*ct*r, thank you so very much :p

That was it yes, four boxes of cutters. And I think it came in a wooden box but that might have been the #45.

Yes, the Mathieson is a Bailey pattern. Don't know how old though - doesn't exactly look ancient.

Norris infill plane went for £200 and was only described as 'Norris Style' Looked nice though.

Andrew

Well apparently Mathieson eventually died the death in 1966, so it could be as recent as that I imagine. I haven't a clue how they're regarded in relation to Records, Stanleys, Marples etc. It'll be interesting to hear how you get along with it.

Cheers, Alf

Back