Re-Velcroing my sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I user sanders all day long and have just recently bought a detail sander - a bosch type that cuts/saws as well as sands (Bosch PMF 180E Multicutte), anyway basically the triangle velcro sanding base melts if your not careful, leaving it knackered basically. It's a known problem as i'm reading other peoples cases, so instead of buying another baseplate, and another baseplate etc... I want re-velcro it myself and wondered if anyone had any tips or experience of doing the same? I think an expoxyglue to join the velcro to the base might be best as a rigid stick would be desireable, the glue on most velcro you'd buy would allow it to creep i'd reckon.

I need these sanders to use on staircases for detail sanding so i also need to come up with a maintenence plan for them instead of spending £'s a day on new bases!

Thanks. Sean

I can confirm the Fein multi master (which was the first of its kind) don't suffer from this (well mine at least). Maybe you could get hold and a Fein base. I'm told you can use the Bosch bits on the Fein so you must be able to the other way around, even if a little 'fitting' is required it maybe worth it.

Hi Sean

I had the same problem on a little green Bosch diy grade delta sander - the hooks had all worn away so it would not retain the looped sanding sheets.

I bought a few inches of self-adhesive velcro hook tape from my local independent DIY store, cut it up with scissors and stuck it on, poking holes through for the air flow. It's worked fine. I can't say how long it will last but it was cheap and quick to do.

I expect you can get the velcro from the big shed hobbycraft shops or eBay.

Hudson Carpentry":1wosnlf3 said:
I can confirm the Fein multi master (which was the first of its kind) don't suffer from this (well mine at least). Maybe you could get hold and a Fein base. I'm told you can use the Bosch bits on the Fein so you must be able to the other way around, even if a little 'fitting' is required it maybe worth it.

I have had it happen with my Fein, getting into corners and such. The solution is to turn the speed down and press less hard.

Jake":261aj4qo said:
Hudson Carpentry":261aj4qo said:
The solution is to turn the speed down and press less hard.

Thanks for all the above, and yes it does seem logical not to go full speed in regard to heat build up, i use many sanders but the detail sander seems to heat up crazy quick!

If anyone else is intersted i tracked down a supplier of good width sheets that suites tool dimensions instead of the strips that are common.

http://www.abrasivesplus.com/buy/replac ... mm_156.htm

cheers. Sean

Thanks for the link.
Any ideas how to get the old velcro off? On my old B&D random orbit job, the velcro is stuck to a thin sheet of rubber like material which looks like it would rip if I apply too much effort pulling the velcro off. I thought about using a belt sander on it, suggestions ?

@ Rob, i'll let you know how I get on as i'm at the stage of removing a couple of velcro pads from my sanders along with the foam. I realised i just couldn't 'revelcro' as the foam will generally come with the knackered velcro too, so i've got some thin rubber/foam material that i'll ply between the hard base and my new velcro. Sounds like a lot of fuss but i'm hacked off how easy they melt, and as a commercial woodfinisher i need to have bunch of these spare for a few tools i've got. Just pondering wether a hard setting or flexible glue would be best suited to the job??

Starting to think it's easier just to buy a new platter, not very expensive for mine but I hate throwing out something that could be easily refurbished.

Back