Re sawing oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a few boards of Euro Oak 3m long to rip into 15mm strips. the oak is 38mm thick and 170 wide. My options are bandsaw. It is only a cheap ELU. Table saw will eat it but blade kerf is a bit wasteful at the price of the oak. Jigsaw with the thick Bosch blade will do it if I clamp a guide the length of board. I don't have a battery circular saw as these thin kerf blades that are used with them might have done a trick. I do have a 1400 watt Skill saw though. Could I fit a thin kerf blade to my tables saw or skill saw?

If you can find a suitable plate thickness for thin kerf blades why not.
My startrite came with a thin kerf one, and was nice to have for a template.
Nothing needed other than an angle grinder with a few old discs, and a half round file, and chainsaw file for the crown guard if attached to the original one.
Steve Maskery made a good point of having a captured RK instead of one you can pull out in an upwards fashion.

If you could use old cutting discs when they get too small for the 4" electric angle grinder, it would be nicer for the job.
I haven't seen any for the wee angle grinder the same as the likes for air tools.

Tom

I use a ripping blade with narrow kerf on my table saw. The only issue is that you will need a narrower riving knife to match the blade, easy enough to make.

Bandsaw, fresh blade. Take blade off after and label and save for next set of straight cuts. Fitz

A bandsaw is the best option. As long as you can get it under the throat. Are you after 15 mm x 170mm?
Use a new blade and go very slow. 90% of all bandsaw problems are a result of pushing the wood through too quickly, after watching speeded up utube clips.

How many strips do you need? in theory you'd get 10 with a thin kerf blade, but that leaves precious little margin for error. Go for 9 and an ordinary blade would just do it. MikeG i right about the bandsaw, it probably could but I think - at least in my case - the operator would screw up! 27m of mm accurate cutting on a small saw is some going!

So it’d be 9 lengths for me, but if i really needed the 10th a thin kerf blade, no riving knife (horror) and a small wedge for the kerf. Im assuming the wood is reasonably well behaved of course.

I have a brand new blade in the band saw. It is only the 3401 model. As Oddbond 70 says, it is some going on a wee bandsaw for those lineal feet, and the blade don't stay new long on oak. Thanking you all for your replies and experience.

I wouldn't skip the riving knife with those hefty boards. Imagine two horses kicking it at you. :)
Yeah, i know, but depending on the saw you’d probably stall the blade first. But in any case you can wedge the kerf. But i fully accept that its not recommended, and if you‘re not confident Don’t do it.

Happy to use without RK. Ripped a lot of wood on my wee De Walt flip saw. It stalls before any fireworks. Only a tired 1500 watts................but very quiet motor.

Back