RE: Mitre Saw StaTnd Thanks Very Much For Your Support

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have minded if someone had told me that it was utter rubbish, at least then i would have know what they thought of it, but to have spent hours on end writing a review for fellow members who then as good as ignore it, is a bit much.

Out of 120 views there was 5 replies and out of these 5 replies 2 of them were from me, and out of the 3 left one of them doesn't even mention the review.

If this happens to others then i know how they feel or don't whatever the case maybe.

Am i childish? probably, But i asked the question a few weeks ago "Would it be worth writing reviews about all of my machines/tools etc" I was told yes it would be.
Yet it seems that it's not.

Regards

Mike.C

What did you want, Mike? If you look down the list of reviews, you'll find that your responses-to-viewers ratio is about the same as everyone else's.

At least you weren't completely ignored. And you've added to the pool of info and knowledge here, which is a worthy thing.

Mike

Sorry, didn't see your review - I don't always get notified about new postings for some reason

Also, NO I do not think you are being childish and thoroughly understand your frustration after taking the time to write the review. When I have posted in the past and had little or no interest I too felt somehow let down.

Only consolation I can offer is that I am sure people have gotten and will get useful info from it even if they did not respond.

Cheers

Tony

Pete,

My responses-to-viewer ratio is about the same as everyone else's!What "1"? Two of the others were my own! and the last one never even acknowledge my review. I cannot see how you can say that this is anyway near the same as everyone else's. You obviously cannot (or do not want to) see what i am talking about.

As some will already know i had hell of a problem (tried about 25 times)getting this review onto the forum in the first place. For those of you that do not know, every time i tried to submit it i was asked to log in again, and when i did the review was lost and i had to start all over again. So maybe i am being a bit sensitive, but my point still stands.

If your attitude is to automatically to rebuff without at least trying to see what the problem is, then my simple answer is not to write any more reviews. I have got better things to do with my time if yours is the attitude i am going to get.

Mike.C

Tony,

Sorry but you posted while i was answering Pete's post.

I am glad that someone else understands how i feel. It is silly and certainly not how i would usually act. But when you have spent hours writing something that you hope will help others and it is received like that, well you know what i mean.

Cheers

Mike.C

Mike dont take it to heart m8 after a review like yours they are all still in the que to buy one of those stands :lol: . Sorry dont mean to be flippent but most people i think look at what is written and the file in memory for either list of next purchases or think thank god i did not buy it .Dont let your lack of response get you down if it were not for people like you we would all be knee deep in things we bought on impulse that are not fit to burn .

Hi anobium punctatum,

Thanks very much. That is the whole point of my reviews and if they are helping people such as you and Tony then that is all that matters. The trouble is until someone tells you, you don't really know what they are thinking, and you feel that it is a waste of time.

Thanks again

Cheers

Mike.C

Mike C,

A few points:
It was a concise, informative and well written review.
The view volume was good, 144 at time of writing.
I think most of the forum members are not, how shall I say, happy clappy?That is, express congratutory messages of "well done", "nice review" etc. Speaking from my own propective when I read a review I do so for the following reasons: I've an interest in the particular item being discussed whether through general curiosity or I may have plans at some future stage to purchase the item in question. I may even possibly need a diversion from a rubbish day in the office here. The very fact that your review was read by a goodly proportion of the active membership must mean something. The fact that the review covered a workshop accessory which may not be near the top of a lot of peoples purchase or want list and the fact that it's a rather mundane and unglamourous, although welcome, addition to your workshop may be why the review has not garnered more posting activity.
Mike, don't be disheartened. Many posts I've submitted do not get the attention or reaction which I think they deserve but life is waaay to short to worry about it. Please, do another review soonest as I, and others, will enjoy reading it.

Rgds

Noel

Mike....

for the record.. I want to echo anobium's response.. I apologise for neglecting toSAY so in my responses, but I thought you're review was first rate.. WELL worth taking the time over....
I'd no idea you'd as much hassle as you did to post it, but I'm damn gratefull that you DID....
Don't let lack of response get you down but... there's tons of members here prefer to lurk for whatever reason. I dare say you're review WILL make a difference.. it certainly opened my eyes..

keep your powder dry bud...

Hi All,

Noel, i take your words on board, especially the sentence that began "The fact that the review covered a workshop accessory etc etc etc.
If i am perfectly honest my review WAS going to start as follows:

I realise that a mitre saw stand may not be as exciting as a table saw,
planer/thicknesser or even a radial arm saw, but because the stand is so well made and a bargain to boot, i believe it deserves a review.

So Noel as you can see i thought exactly the same, but the reason i scrubbed this start was i did not want to put anyone off before they had even read it.

Mike, thanks very much.

Mike, Noel ( those above and on the other thread) thank you all for taking the time to explain to me how the mind of other members work. I may have been over sensitive (although it seems that there are others who feel unappreciated), but in a way i am glad that i was because i now know that as long as there are members viewing my reviews i am doing some good even if they do not respond, and lets face it that is the whole point of writing a review.

Regards

Mike.C

Mike, I read your review and found it informative and well written. The reason I don't post a response to reviews is that this is a busy forum and I think that if everyone wrote a "nice review" post then the forum would become too busy to follow. On other discussion boards I follow there is an option to recommend a post with the number of recs shown next to the post. Any chance of a similar feature here?

What does everyone else think, should all readers of a review post a comment?

Good review Mike, please don't stop posting them if you can.

John

Johnboy,

Thanks very much for replying. Once again as with the others you have a valid point. If you had 150 people view any particular review and all of them added a post it just would not work.

As for your idea of recommending a post, i think Sawdustalley has the same sort of thing.

Once again thank you fro taking the time to reply.

Regards

Mike.C

I read pretty much every post that's made here (I know, sad isn't it :wink: ) but I only really reply when the post has some relevence to me, my work, and whether I feel I can help or contribute.
I know how you feel about taking it personally, especially when your first review gets a small response - same thing happened to me. I quickly realised that it isn't personal, it's just not every topic appeals to every reader, and of those that are interested, not everyone feels the need to comment.
Keep up the posts and reviews! They all go to form an excellent resource for us all when we come to make a new purchase.

John (and Mike)

I think that on the whole, people are most likely to read reviews of things in which they have a specific interest. If they fall into that category, they are quite likely to comment on the quality of the review , ask questions about the subject of the review and so forth.

Sometimes, a review will cover something that, whilst not of immediate interest, sparks the imagination or offers an alternative to something the reader has or is is considering buying. Alf's plane reviews are a good example of this. I have no intention of buying one of the planes reviewed as I have already got a satisfactory alternative but these tools are new to the market, competing in a rather exclusive area of modern high end hand tools and as such command my interest irrespective of my buying intentions. This does not of course mean that they either do or should command everyone's interest - we are all different.

Personally, I have zero interest in mitre saws - my shop is too small to add a tool of this type and I am well catered for in the sawing category by many alternatives. The subject of a stand for mitre saws thus seemed to be at one remove from a subject which holds no interest for me.

Mike's review however, suggests a couple of other possible reasons I should be interested in his findings - he felt that it was a particularly good device that had alternative uses and which was very good value. Perhaps the titling of reviews could better reflect such findings in some way?

Another thing that caused me to move on quickly was the lack of any pictures. I am not suggesting that every review needs them, nor criticising Mike for not posting any - just that my interest is more likely to be captured if there is a picture to illustrate the topic.

Mike,
I have been having some PC problems of late and just managed to read your reviews; well done on you.
I have only done a few reviews myself but i feel its definately worth the effort.
Reading through what Chris has just said i tend to agree but it shouldnt put us off doing any more reviews.
I deal with GWW as you are aware and we very rarely get any feedback from anyone in fact the few nice words from here are about all i've had,
the only feedback that generally comes is negative, people are more inclined to write in with a complaint than they are to thankyou for an article.
But we are all adults and i can take critisism as well as praise, just ask Andy or Pete

As i said earlier please dont let little feedback put you off doing another, some will thankyou for it some wont
keep up the good work
Ian

Hi Aragorn,

I don't think that you are sad reading ever post. It certainly shows that you are interested in what the other members have to say. You may not reply to them all, but thanks to you and all the others in the last 24 hours i have learnt that as long as my fellow members read my review i have done what i set out to do and that is to let them know what my views are on a certain tool or machine etc.
I would be a liar if i said that i am not well chuffed if someone says "Great Review Mike" But at least i now know that if this does not happen it does not mean that my review stinks.

Chris,

Thank you for explaining why other members may or may not reply to my review's.

As for adding pictures to my reviews, this is what i intend to do soon. The other day i placed a post asking how i can do this and as soon as i buy a digital camera i will try.

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Mike.C

Mike.C":1ez12rau said:
If your attitude is to automatically to rebuff without at least trying to see what the problem is

That wasn't my attitude - I'm sorry you took it that way. And I understand exactly what the problem is - it's the nature of web forums, unfortunately.

The other day i placed a post asking how i can do this and as soon as i buy a digital camera i will try.

hey c'mon Mike gimme a break....
if you start with the pics thing...I'll be expected to get into that mess too......

;)

Mike, just read your review, very good, and you have now had nearly 200 views so that must say something.

I have very little sympathy for Ian as I am consumed with envy (anyone who has seen issue 150 will know what I am talking about); but I too have only had negative feedback from the magazine. It is just the way people think.

A little praise or even acknowledgment goes a long way especially if it comes from ones peers.

Keith

Latest posts

Back