re Highway code (UK) allowing drivers out from side roads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodgers":3prjfkq7 said:
Rorschach":3prjfkq7 said:
Even if it were in the highway code, that doesn't make it law. The HC is an advisory guide for the most part.

The code indicates where laws apply. Not completely right to say it is advisory, there is a lot in there that is law.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

That's why I said for the most part. Yes there is a lot of law in there but I would wager the majority is advice and best practice.

Rorschach":3hpsg26q said:
That's why I said for the most part. Yes there is a lot of law in there but I would wager the majority is advice and best practice.

Anything that says MUST / MUST NOT in the HWC means there IS a law to back it up. There's no wagering required.

Anything that says SHOULD / SHOULD NOT is the HWC does not have a specific law to back it up but it will be used to demonstrate your driving competence in court and establish liability.

What worries me is the increasing tendency of drivers joining motorways and dual carriageways to force their way in, obliging those on the main cariageway to slow (or even brake) in order to avoid a side-on collision.

Blockplane":1w7ehf9m said:
What worries me is the increasing tendency of drivers joining motorways and dual carriageways to force their way in, obliging those on the main cariageway to slow (or even brake) in order to avoid a side-on collision.

Drivers joining a motorway/dual carriageway need to join at the speed of traffic that's already there. Do you expect them to come to a halt and try and get up to 70mph in good time? That's how accidents happen.

You should be taking the path of least resistance. If you're on said road and there's a slip road joining it the common sense dictates that if it's safe you should move to lane 2. Too many people stubbornly stay in lane 1 or refuse to use common sense because "they're supposed to give way to me". You know there's a slip road, anticipate other road users. It'll cost you, what, 5 seconds?

Those rules also assume enough space between cars on the motorway etc. to get up to speed on the slip road and then merge.

There's many many more cars on the road today than when those rules were formed, so often cars have to wait at a slip road before merging...

Agreed about cars moving lanes, but again, so many cars on the road, it's not always possible to keep switching lanes rather than stay in one lane.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Much of the time it is not possible to move into the Right Hand/ middle lane, as it is full of drivers exceeding the speed limit.

It bothers me when I am on a near empty road, plenty of room behind me, plenty of room in front of me, yet someone joining from a slip road proceeds to join at the exact same speed as me. Forcing me to either slow down, speed up or change lane! :roll:

transatlantic":28uz6nmw said:
It bothers me when I am on a near empty road, plenty of room behind me, plenty of room in front of me, yet someone joining from a slip road proceeds to join at the exact same speed as me. Forcing me to either slow down, speed up or change lane! :roll:
I agree, it's often younger drivers. They seem to put their head down and accelerate down the sliproad and expect everyone to get out of their way! Yes, of course on an uncongested road I usually move into the middle lane approaching a junction to make it easier for people on the slip (and to avoid numpties 'forcing' their way onto the main road regardless) - but on a road like the M25, if you leave a car-sized gap (anywhere, front, back, left, right) someone will fill it - often with no indicators.

sammy.se":3f71j9i5 said:
If the side road has a give way, the side road needs to wait. The driver of the main road needs to drive safely to the road conditions, so if for example, the main road was 40mph, and s/he slows to 20mph, that is not appropriate, but... the driver behind will still be at fault for rear ending - that is a separate subject.

Basically, courtesy is fine, but you still have to drive appropriately. The driver behind was either too impatient/lacks courtesy, or, the driver slowing down did so in an inappropriate manner.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Having only passed my driving test a couple if years ago I'm pretty sure the answer is this - failing to check that the car behind has sufficient space to ensure braking is safe, when said braking is not required for safety or an emergency. I think the highway code states you should ALWAYS check you rearview mirror before braking.

Chances are the car behind was too close; and had been for sometime - or the driver who slowed / braked hadn't checked the rear mirrow either before the manouvre, nor in the preceeding few minutes to notice the rear car was too close.

@ transatlantic - I was under the impression that if the outer lane is empty with nothing approaching, and there is someone on the slip road (which I check as a matter of course), changing lanes was the common practice - safer for you and them - expecting them to speed up or slow to allow you to pass when the outside lane is free (or has sufficient space when traffic is heavier) is a little...... dare I say "this is MY space you work around ME".

You control your car, get out the way and let them do whatever without possible incident.

I've done a fair bit of motorway driving going to and from London for work and if I'm honest, I've seen far too much of the "I'm not getting out of the way" mentality when there was easily space to do so.

Latest posts

Back