Re-finishing a Teak bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil1975

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to re-finish a Teak bench by a colleague at work. The bench is a memorial bench, around 10 years old.
I am aware that Teak is self lubricating, but this one could definitely use some help as it has dried out & the arms have began to split.
They have tried to apply Teak oil, but have bodged it & it looks pretty awful (patchy).
What would you recommend to bring the bench back to life: sand down & re apply Teak oil, Sikkens, Osmo or something completely different?
Thanks.

what about le tonkinois varnish? supposed to be good stuff I think it'd be ideal for something like this once you've sanded it back

Raw linseed oil. It looks messy for a day or so but eventually soaks in very evenly and brings out the colour of the wood. Brush on thinly and after a few hours wipe off any pools remaining. Flood it into all joints, cracks, around hardware etc

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I went with the Le Tonkinois in the end. Partly because I phoned for advice & actually got some, which counts for a lot in my book. Also because a few people off the forum also had good things to say about it.

Back