Re-finishing a record deck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I have a record deck that has faded somewhat (its a rosewood colour) over the years along with a few tiny nicks and scrapes it could therefore use a little tlc, how should I approach this renovation project?

1 - should I strip it back? if so how? what with?

2- Should I apply a renovation product? if so which?

3- If I strip it back what should the procedure be from start to finish?

4- I have tried Briwax, but this has not given me the finish that I require(it leaves a grease type film on the surface which when touched leaves bad staining from fingerprints.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Hc

Hi

Where you tried the Briwax, did it improve the look of your record deck (if you ignore the fingermarking?).

If so, I hope you won't mind if I make a suggestion... the problems you are describing with the wax lead me to think that you may have put too much on, which is very easy to do. If so, all the buffing in the world won't really help. Perverse as it may seem, apply more wax but this time with very fine 0000 Steel Wool; this will remove much of the excess and leave a thin film of wax. Leave it a couple of minutes then buff, you should see an improvement in the finish.

If you want to go further with the renovation let us know and I'm sure more advice will be forthcoming!

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply

I actually applied the briwax as you have suggested with 0000 gauge steel wool and applied the Briwax sparingly. I am un-satisfied with the finish at the moment as it seems a "soft"? finish (hence fingermarks) I have used Bison wax on other projects and this seems a "harder"? finish, with a much nicer smell (carnauba?) should I try this?

I have noticed under the light of day that some of the veneer is lifting/cracking very slightly probably where the wood has not been nourished over the years (I am the second owner) so I am wondering if a strip down/re-finish is really the only option, especially bearing in mind the fading.

If so what is the best course of action?

I am about to attack the deck with a polishing mop (car type) to see if this helps?

Fingers crossingly!

Hc

Hi again

The smell from the Briwax is the solvent; it's such a strong smell that it will overpower any 'wax' smells; Bison wax uses a different solvent and is a more pleasant smell but slower drying (for the record ours is a faster drying wax without the smell). All of them should include carnuaba wax which should make the finish tougher.

I'll be interested to see how you feel after the 'power buffing'.

There will be nothing to lose by trying the Bison wax on top of what is already there; if you don't like it and have to strip back then it won't make the job any harder but if it saves you having to do so then you have a result! Using a tinted wax (or whatever you have available!) might help to mask some of the faded areas.

Let me know how you get on and we'll take it from there. If any restorers want to jump in here, especially on the stripping part if it becomes necessary, I for one would welcome their input.

Before you go too far, I have to ask what record deck are we talking about here? If it's a Linn Sondek, for example I'd be tempted to contact Linn and see what they suggest. You don't want to ruin an expensive deck...

Pete (owner of a Rock, sat in it's box to keep it out of 2-year-old's way).

Hello again Terry:-

The power buffing was a success of sorts - it seems to have ridded the excesss wax situation, fingerprints are not so much of a problem now however the overload of wax did have its uses as it seemed to have covered up some of the imperfections in the wood i.e. cracks and splits (only slightly visible but still there none the less) so although much better (this has been a lesson not to overload the workpiece with wax!) I am still having thoughts of a complete strip down / re-finish unless....I strip back the current finish with a renovating/stripper followed by sanding sealer then finally finishing off with light coat of wax? could this be the best course of action?

Cambournepete:-

"owner of a Rock, sat in it's box to keep it out of 2-year-old's way."

Ha ha been there, done it, now resurrected! The TT is a Roksan Xerxes so disassembly - reassembly is not so much of a problem i.e. no black arts to set up springs etc however acres more real wood (inc P.S.U.!) dont jump ship when the little one is of a more trustworthy age though (about 21.5 years or so I am told!)

Regards

David

P.s. Had the wife really worried when she saw me dig out the old polishing mop and then the turntable!

Hi David

Glad there's been some improvement, even if it is at the expense of showing the cracks!

I don't know a great deal about them, but you can get coloured wax sticks which can be used to fill small gaps and cracks. They are a hard wax and should allow another thin coat of wax over the top for a final finish. This might be worth exploring.
Whatever course of action you decide upon you'll have to deal with these cracks, so trying this first could be the easiest place to start!
The sticks are made by various people, mainly Liberon although Briwax have some available too.

Hi Terry

I have used the wax sticks that you mention numerous times before(unfortunately!) on our furniture at home (side effect of a 6 year old boy!) to great effect, but I am not sure if this would be the correct way to go on this occasion as the cracks really are micro cracks (I guess that maybe I am being a little too fussy?). The wax did seem to fill them up but obviously when removed the cracks appeared again. I am still wondering if I should go in there with shirt sleeves rolled up and go for the full attack? (total re-finishing)

Thanks
David

Back