Re-acclimatising wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've bought some 25*100 pine from my local timber merchant ready for a big toy box.

After cutting (oversize) and planing, how long should I leave it in the house before working with it??

My garage is not the warmest place (especially now :!: ) and obviusly not as dry.

Should I make the effort to bring it back in the house when I'm between work sessions (only evenings :( )??

You can get a moisture meter for about £50-60 from Brimarc. Just check your stock every now and then until you get it down to the percentage content you require (depending on where you are going to keep the finished product of course). I bought one a couple of years ago and found it absolutely invaluable, especially as people used to tend to take pieces like tables and stick them in front of a radiator and then wonder why their scented candles rolled off during a cold spell! :D

The stuffs already kiln-dried. It's been stored in a dry area at the timber merchant and the finished product will be in the house.

Is a couple of weeks in a cold but dry garage going to affect the wood much??

Sorry, my e-mail was a bit confusing, what I meant was if you leave the stock in your workshop you can use the moisture meter to check that its' moisture level has remained constant and if not move it indoors, the cold shouldn't make any difference if the humidity is low enough :oops:

Back