Re- a recent enquiry about equipment wax, op departed after one reply.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you see a question you think is way too basic, ignore it - it gives someone with 'just a bit of experience' an opportunity to get the warm and fuzzy glow of helping someone :)

I love this place, I've used forums for 25'ish years - this is a good one :)

I wondered if an FAQ type section where some of the more common answers to questions could go.

there are some really brilliant posts here, last example the one about lining boxes. it’s more like a how to, so maybe a how to section and an faq?

ive always found everyone really helpful

Sorry, forgot there was a how 2 section at the bottom, just not very active. Perhaps some of the great posts could be moved into there as a reference?

an FAQ section may work, but as a complete novice, you probably want guiding through your specific issue. I dont think that what we have is that unapproachable. It tends to mirror how the person approaches the forum. If they say that they dont know what they are talking about and needs help, they get it. I have seen plenty of offers of help, including "bring your plane over and I will show you how to sharpen it and use it". the alternative is people that come on with no idea, trying to convince themselves that whatever idea they had in the first instance will work, and tell the experienced professionals that they are wrong.

people generally get the help they deserve.

he was rather arrogant and obnoxious in his outlook and manner and thought he knew better than many far better than both he and I whose help he actually wanted to ellicit. He brought the response he had upon himself. and even when given help basically bit the hand that fed him

That’s him also responsible for our lose of edit function :rolleyes:

Don't remind me, Doug, the castration still hurts!

tumblr_ou5gzuD3Ar1s9a9yjo1_500.gif

Clearly most folks aren't commenting as they are still waaay too upset over that thread, :sleep:
which didn't come across to me, as any excuse to loose our edit function for.

It seems the forum may have evolved a bit, it could be the new forum software enabling a clearer expression or something, but people seem to be communicating better these days, and I see no-one getting mis-interpated having to defend their opinions and in haste, with their point not coming across and an unimportant sentence being manipulated.

I suppose there will always be a rogue, but there seems not to be any recently,
well there are no heated threads anyways.

I think it may be safe to have a rethink on the matter of the edit function.
Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm not the best at compressing my writings.
Tom

I wondered if an FAQ type section where some of the more common answers to questions could go.

there are some really brilliant posts here, last example the one about lining boxes. it’s more like a how to, so maybe a how to section and an faq?

ive always found everyone really helpful
Or even a Search facility on the foru....oh, we've got one of those :rolleyes:

Or even a Search facility on the foru....oh, we've got one of those :rolleyes:
It may be me, but I have virtually given up using the search facility, it just doesn’t seem very intelligent. Sometimes you just need to put in more than two words and it doesn’t cope at all well.

I joined this forum recently to ask, what most here would probably consider a very broad and often asked question. I wanted to know what hardware I should look at getting to start wood working. I had a number of replies with some very helpful advice, for which I'm very thankful and I'm glad I joined.

Maybe it's worth remembering that everyone started somewhere. What may seem like a stupid question to someone with years of knowledge and experience could be seen as a hurdle to someone just starting out. I'm sure over the next year or so, while I start trying my hand at wood working, I'll be here asking all sorts of things. If I get the same helpful advice as I did to my first question I'm sure my future builds will go well.

My first post on here, was to help someone who required some bandsaw tyres. I was thanked for that by a few people.

That's generally how it goes!! If one gets on and bashes someone else for their first post, most of us will be suspicious (and some will reply). If someone offers generous, genuine and helpful advice - we're all less suspicious!!

Latest posts

Back