Re: 2011 December Challenge (Dissusion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Post any questions here please

babylon355
Blister (Ready )
Bodrighy
callumlovatt
cambournepete
chill
Chris357
Chrisp
clk230
como
Daven
dennisk ( Ready )
DougieH
duncanh (Ready )
Dust Busker
Elaine
gus3049
Haldane ( Ready )
Hudson Carpentry ( Ready )
j1mbr0wn ( Ready )
Jonzjob
Jumps
Leo
liamscanlan
loz
maltrout512
matmac
Melinda_dd
miles_hot
monkeybiter ( Ready )
myturn
nev ( Ready )
not_simple_si
Oakbear
OldWood
philb88
Pvt_Ryan
RATWOOD
RO
Silverbirch (Ready )
spasm
steve66
SVB
tekno.mage
tinytim1458
TheTiddles
tpot
whacky
Wood spoiler ( Ready )

Please notify me your entries are ready by 10 pm on the 21th December after this time the thread will be locked

:shock:

So now what's my excuse for avoiding the inlaws? I might have to be sociable :evil:

Whilst I like the idea of the entrants voting, the old cynic in me says "hmmm... I spy a bit of tactical voting at the end of the year"

As if.

As far as December is concerned, I assume our top five should not include our own!!

gus3049":2tm5mxt6 said:
Whilst I like the idea of the entrants voting, the old cynic in me says "hmmm... I spy a bit of tactical voting at the end of the year"

As if.

As far as December is concerned, I assume our top five should not include our own!!

I really don't think or hope tactical voting occurs as it is wholly unnecessary.

Speaking for myself, I have already "won". At the start of the year I said my target was to enter every month and hopefully get a "mention in despatches" along the way. I have passed that marker.

Far more importantly I have acquired so many new skills and experiences that enhance My hobby that I have already won!

I am proud of my two plaques for month wins and would not object to a 3rd but not if it comes from shenanigans it becomes worthless. It is a bit of friendly fun - let's all keep it that way.

Wood spoiler":3l3d4ib4 said:
gus3049":3l3d4ib4 said:

As if.

I really don't think or hope tactical voting occurs as it is wholly unnecessary.

Speaking for myself, I have already "won". At the start of the year I said my target was to enter every month and hopefully get a "mention in despatches" along the way. I have passed that marker.

Far more importantly I have acquired so many new skills and experiences that enhance My hobby that I have already won!
I am proud of my two plaques for month wins and would not object to a 3rd but not if it comes from shenanigans it becomes worthless. It is a bit of friendly fun - let's all keep it that way

I quite agree Colin but as I have a few years advantage of you, I fear that my view of human nature is probably a little more tattered than yours.

I hope it continues to be fun for all of us. I am still more than chuffed with my plaque and look forward to what next year brings.

i think dusting 2 plaques is far too much work for one person to have to do.....
I'll look after 1 for you :wink:

Melinda_dd":2wk90zjm said:
i think dusting 2 plaques is far too much work for one person to have to do.....
I'll look after 1 for you :wink:

Very kind of you to offer.

However I am confused. I go off to work and find the dusting fairy has visited, mind you don't know what on earth my wife finds to do all day!

gus3049":3gvrznuv said:
Wood spoiler":3gvrznuv said:
gus3049":3gvrznuv said:

As if.

I am proud of my two plaques for month wins and would not object to a 3rd but not if it comes from shenanigans it becomes worthless. It is a bit of friendly fun - let's all keep it that way

I quite agree Colin but as I have a few years advantage of you, I fear that my view of human nature is probably a little more tattered than yours.

I hope it continues to be fun for all of us. I am still more than chuffed with my plaque and look forward to what next year brings.

Whilst I feel sure that the concept of tactical voting would be an anathama to those here, one obvious solution would be for the voting thread to be constructed without names. It would involve more work for those who already do loads - but it can't be beyond the capabilities of those who already give us such amazing things as 'round-ups'.

Just a thought

Hi Allen,

What a dismal way to end the year. Another point gone. I now have to stay in hospital for the rest of the year with no weekends off so the lathe is 40 kilometres away.

I am connected so can still annoy with my online presence but turnin' is orf dear.

If I don't get to post before, may I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
If I do get to post before, I still do :D

I will watch the final installment with great interest to see which of our front runners comes out on top.

OK Gordon

Thanks for the update

We hope to see you BACK soon :mrgreen:

I hope you and your family have a pleasant Christmas and New Year

Allen

Mr Blister sir.

I started a christmas project last christmas, but have only finished it today due to last christmas lathe brake downs..... and then didn't think it was worth working on during the year. Am I able to enter it in this months challenge?

it is a christmas decorative orniment... not a tree or a snowman
It has 14 parts, 12 of which are turned. It is painted and has 9 decorative gems stuck on (to help with the decision)

If not that's fine. I have also started a back up plan today.

gus3049":1ka3wyz7 said:
Hi Allen,

What a dismal way to end the year. Another point gone. I now have to stay in hospital for the rest of the year with no weekends off so the lathe is 40 kilometres away.

I am connected so can still annoy with my online presence but turnin' is orf dear.

If I don't get to post before, may I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

I will watch the final installment with great interest to see which of our front runners comes out on top.

Sorry to hear your news Gordan. That has got to suck being in for christmas.
Hope you make a speedy recovery. Did the op go well?

Melinda_dd":1uybrciy said:
Mr Blister sir.

I started a christmas project last christmas, but have only finished it today due to last christmas lathe brake downs..... and then didn't think it was worth working on during the year. Am I able to enter it in this months challenge?

it is a christmas decorative orniment... not a tree or a snowman
It has 14 parts, 12 of which are turned. It is painted and has 9 decorative gems stuck on (to help with the decision)

If not that's fine. I have also started a back up plan today.
Must be new work for this challenge
Max diameter of 12”
Max height 12”
Any wood type
Must be lathe turned
Also allowed are , cotton wool, tinsel and glitter to enhance your entry ( But you must still be able to see that its made from wood :wink:

Sorry it looks like it does not fit the rules and requirements

Ok cool, back to plan B then. thank you for the fast reply.

Look out for it in another post coming to your screens soon!!!

Melinda_dd":3rzavxid said:
gus3049":3rzavxid said:
Hi Allen,

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for the concern. The op hasn't yet happened as the powers that be are trying to avoid it as it presents certain dangers - possible wheelchair time. Basically we are trying EVERYTHING else. All of this causes pain or problems with the leg so I can't walk. This is not good. However, I am in their hands and so have to go through the motions. I strongly suspect that, at the end of another eight weeks of being bashed about, the op will still be necessary.

We shall see.

Good luck with your Christmas entry.

gus3049":4yuvwd2j said:
Melinda_dd":4yuvwd2j said:
gus3049":4yuvwd2j said:
Hi Allen,

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for the concern. The op hasn't yet happened as the powers that be are trying to avoid it as it presents certain dangers - possible wheelchair time. Basically we are trying EVERYTHING else. All of this causes pain or problems with the leg so I can't walk. This is not good. However, I am in their hands and so have to go through the motions. I strongly suspect that, at the end of another eight weeks of being bashed about, the op will still be necessary.

We shall see.

Good luck with your Christmas entry.[/quote
Hi Gordon]
I have just got the allclear today having gone thru a bad patch for six/seven weeks and have some idea what you are going through.
One of the highlights for me was when I got the chance to get onto the PC and catch up on the Forum news.
The friendly banter on this forum and the general helpfulness of the members never ceased to amaze me.
It really is like a family forum
I shall miss your carving and odd turnings whilst you are away, but I hope you can use the time to develop some
more artistic designs and amaze me + them with your skills with the air thing a magig.
I shall endevor to cover for you as usual, although I think I may have forgotten how to post pics. again.
I may have forgotten how to turn, (did he ever know) I hear you ask?

Good Luck and God Speed your recovery
Merry Xmas to you and yours. God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back