RBS CEO Bonus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIGNAL":2d9i2f3s said:
Ah yes. This is the 'they can't possibly be replaced' argument. No one in the world can replace these guys because their skills are so unique that you have to be born with the right genes. Those genes are particular to a select group of people that you can count on the fingers of one hand.
It's also known as the Bankersgeneof2007. We couldn't replace them either. Oh dear.

Gosh..you are so right.

It is so, so easy running a bank. Anyone can do it...my two year old could. Now, there's a thought. We could replace him with Flobadob Miliband...that would really get RBS back on a firm footing.

Actually Mignal what was said was, not that he couldn't be replaced, rather that no one of his calibre would touch it with a barge pole.
Would you do the job for half of what you get elsewhere?
That is the problem with these people, and with footballers.

Roy.

Oh I wouldn't worry about it chaps. Loads of his replacements are being trained at this very moment. . . by the chap who oversaw the demise of Bradford and Bingley! He too had that special Banking gene and obviously wouldn't have touched the post if he had been paid a penny less than he was. :D :D :D :D

So Roger, whats this thing about worth and envy? Does it only apply to Bankers? What about Premiership footballers? or is that envy because a working class kid can earn so much more than yourself?

Here you go Roy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16783571

I see shares have fallen 36% in the last year. We shall have to pay him £50,000,000,000,0000
We need to give him (or his replacement) greater incentive.
I'm fairly certain that at one time position, pride,respect and a sense of achievement was worth just as much as monetary payment. I'm probably wrong though, must be the cobwebs of my mind.

I know, it was on Sky News 2 days ago, mind you, Fred was the ideal man at the time! :twisted:
As was Gordon Brown, IDS, and a list of recently sacked footy managers as long as your arm.
When hiring these people you have to pay what it takes to get them, then keep your fingers crossed. As stated, no one is irreplaceable, equally, no one is infallible.
Who hired Fred in the first place, anyone know? I'll bet they're keeping their head down!
Paying Hester half what he getting won't make him worse, neither will doubling his pay make him any better.

Roy.

I'm not referring to Fred though, there is more than one of them! I'm referring to Crawshaw - a dynamic, fast moving, everything turns to Gold exec. He mysteriously had heart problems just before his 'resignation'. There you go, how they fall - a CEO pulling a sickie. Even after the event they still fail to face the truth!

MIGNAL":2dzpspe2 said:
Oh I wouldn't worry about it chaps. Loads of his replacements are being trained at this very moment. . . by the chap who oversaw the demise of Bradford and Bingley! He too had that special Banking gene and obviously wouldn't have touched the post if he had been paid a penny less than he was. :D :D :D :D

So Roger, whats this thing about worth and envy? Does it only apply to Bankers? What about Premiership footballers? or is that envy because a working class kid can earn so much more than yourself?

None of them. I just happen to put greater value and worth on someone trying to rebuild a business then a bloke kicking around a bit of leather and generally being a bit of a tw*t.

On what basis can anyone say he has failed?

from the BBC article..

On the more positive side, there are several to note.

The bank is now making money. For the first nine months of 2011, RBS made pre-tax profits of £1.2bn.
The bank says that all of its core businesses are now profitable, other than its Northern Irish unit, Ulster Bank.
RBS's ratio of assets - loans and investments - to its loss-absorbing equity capital is a fraction more than 20 times, down from 50 times in the autumn of 2008 when it was rescued. (According to the BBC's business editor Robert Peston, in 2008 a fall in the value of its assets of just 2% was enough to sink it. Today, its assets would have to be written down by 5%.)
RBS's balance sheet has been reduced by more than £600bn since 2008.
RBS has lent more than £68bn to UK companies in the nine months to September 2011, including over 40p in every £1 lent to small businesses in the UK compared with a much lower customer market share.
The bank's ratio of the loans it has made to deposits is 112%, down from 154% more than three years ago.
It has increased its portfolio of liquid assets (which it assets that can supposedly be turned into cash in a crisis) from £155bn to £170bn.
But critics of Mr Hester also have some points.

Mr Hester has conceded that it will take longer than the promised five years for RBS to revive the bank - which is effectively breaking one of his key promises since taking control of the bank.
Under Mr Hester, its shares have fallen substantially to about 27p currently. Its stock fell 48% last year. In 2007, RBS shares were worth about 370p.
The bank is worth less than half what taxpayers paid for the shares when rescuing the group. UK taxpayers injected £45.5bn of new capital into RBS. At recent share prices, that investment has fallen in value by a painful £27bn.
In 2011, the bank's return on equity fell from 14% to 12% and the cost-to-income ratio rose to 59% from 56%. (The 2013 targets for those two measures are 15% and less than 50%, respectively, from which RBS seems far away.)
Evaluating the performance of a chief executive is never easy.

But when the bank he is running was one of the world's biggest and had imploded, it becomes even harder.

OK..let's look closer at one of the much-harped on about share price. Let's take a look at what's been happening to other UK banks over the same period. Take LloydsTSB....also with a tax payers cash injection.....March 2010 65p Jan 2012 32p. Same ratio of share price fall. Share prices particularly of ALL banks have taken a hammering because of external events such as the Euro crisis. It is a pointless exercise by the BBC to quote the share price in 2007 FFS....but then the BBC always was a bit tabloid. But in any event, LloydsTSB in 2007 was 316p.

Hester is doing alright....witch hunts, apart.

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been said, but I can't understand why this guy needs a bonus as an incentive, as I understand it he's already on a salary of well over £1m which I would have thought was incentive enough to do his job to the best of his ability, to pay a huge bonus on top of that especially when the bank is still not back in the black just seems wrong when so many people are really struggling.

Lowlife":6zbummbm said:
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been said, but I can't understand why this guy needs a bonus as an incentive, as I understand it he's already on a salary of well over £1m which I would have thought was incentive enough to do his job to the best of his ability, to pay a huge bonus on top of that especially when the bank is still not back in the black just seems wrong when so many people are really struggling.

You need to read the whole thread. Most of your points have been discussed.

RogerS":q4epv46v said:
Now, there's a thought. We could replace him with Flobadob Miliband...that would really get RBS back on a firm footing.

Or indeed dopey weak-chinned Gideon.

Jake":219g6y9x said:
RogerS":219g6y9x said:
Now, there's a thought. We could replace him with Flobadob Miliband...that would really get RBS back on a firm footing.

You've lost me there.

flanajb":219g6y9x said:
The RBS share price is already down 4.4% today, whilst other banking stocks are up on the day.

Yes, looks like the markets have factored in Hester dusting down his CV.

RogerS":6n1xpaji said:
flanajb":6n1xpaji said:
The RBS share price is already down 4.4% today, whilst other banking stocks are up on the day.

Yes, looks like the markets have factored in Hester dusting down his CV.

So based on the decision today, the losses to the tax payer are even greater than before. But then again, RBS is a political pawn and only being used to obtain the votes from the uninformed masses.

Well it's not likely to influence my voting so I must be one of the informed! :lol:

Roy.

Just returned from holiday so this is my first post on this subject.

I know absolutely nothing about banking but I do consider myself to be fair and reasonable.
If the CEO has a contract saying he will get a bonus if he makes certain targets then pay the man it, thats fair, however there are certain members on this site who may recall slating public sector employee's for striking to get what they signed up for ie there pension, now come on fellows a 'contracts a contract'.

Stew

Stephen Hestor gets £2 million per year (1 million basic and 1 million bonus apprx)
Wayne Rooney gets 14 times that per year.
Stephen Hestor works a 50 hour week
Wayne Rooney works three (at most) 90 minute sessions and some trainning sessions per week
Stephen Hestor is responsible for thousands of jobs (Albeit he's made some redundant lately)
Wayne Rooney wouldn't know how to manage one other person
Stephen Hestor behaves in a mature responsible way when not in his office
Wayne Rooney behaves like a spoilt brat when not on the pitch (And on the pitch sometimes)
Stephen Hestor is at least average in his job and hasn't done anything really bad since joining RBS
Wayne Rooney is not much good at his job and has done a lot of bad moves on the pitch (and of it)

And yet the media and the politicians and millions of people are now telling me which one has to take a pay cut, sorry I'll make up my own mind thank you.

RogerS":33ebac7k said:
Jake":33ebac7k said:
RogerS":33ebac7k said:

You've lost me there.

"George" Osborne was christened Gideon Osborne. The rest is just mild abuse.

Back