Rayburn Nouvelle 368

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyman

Reaction score
Not strictly woodworking but I hope someone can give a lead. It's not lighting the boiler side.
Checked solenoid valve powered up.
Checked oil flows to lighting basin.
Checked glow plug hot to touch outside boiler when powered up.

can the glow plug be hot to touch but not hot enough to ignite the gas oil?

A quick Google suggests the unit is a pot burner (wick or not?) that is controlled, hence the glow plug.

How about taking the glow plug out of the doubt, and starting it up with a blow torch and then observing if there are other issues that are stopping it running?

Glow plug is, I assume, a starting device, and would be out of the equation once lit. If you light manually and it fails, the you can assume that it's somthing else.

If you light manually and it burns fine then it's time to look at the startup.

A quick Google suggests the unit is a pot burner (wick or not?) that is controlled, hence the glow plug.

How about taking the glow plug out of the doubt, and starting it up with a blow torch and then observing if there are other issues that are stopping it running?

Glow plug is, I assume, a starting device, and would be out of the equation once lit. If you light manually and it fails, the you can assume that it's somthing else.

If you light manually and it burns fine then it's time to look at the startup.
Thank you but this model is not a pot burner boiler. (The cooker side is a pot burner, but that is independent of the boiler).

It's a sequential start up.
1 fan and glow plug power up
2 pilot oil flow starts via solenoid.. it fills a basin then flows up a wick alongside the glow plug. The wick is wet when checked after a failed light up.
3 if the above works a thermocouple allows the main oil flow solenoid to boiler to open.
The thermocouple works as when heated by candle the main solenoid opens.

There are no other wicks in the boiler. It simply burns the incoming gas oil.

That's what I meant by pot... I probably used the wrong term. Basically not a pressure jet.

What I suggested still stands. I'm basically talking about a method to determine if it's a startup issue or a running issue, by lighting manually and seeing if the burn is sustained.

Ps.

I have no background with you model at all, but have various ancillary experience with oil burning apparatus.

That's what I meant by pot... I probably used the wrong term. Basically not a pressure jet.

What I suggested still stands. I'm basically talking about a method to determine if it's a startup issue or a running issue, by lighting manually and seeing if the burn is sustained.

Apologies for a miss understood regards label of boiler type. Correct in saying not a pressure jet.
Seems so simple idea but a pig to keep going at the same time

Just looked a little more -

Am I right in thinking that this unit has a standard BM style float valve thing controlling level to a wick for the cooker, and then the boiler section "steals" the ignition from that side?

All I can find on boiler ignition is that the cooker side must be lit first.

Actually, I've just found this -

http://ucadmin.rayburn-web.co.uk/raytech/ident/ident368.htm
Which implies a pilot for the boiler section.

Personally I'd still be hitting it with a blow torch to ignite, closing it all up and seeing if / when / how long it took to go out.

I mean it could be air ways being blocked or all sorts - might be nothing to do with ignition at all.

Just looked a little more -

Am I right in thinking that this unit has a standard BM style float valve thing controlling level to a wick for the cooker, and then the boiler section "steals" the ignition from that side?

All I can find on boiler ignition is that the cooker side must be lit first.

Actually, I've just found this -

http://ucadmin.rayburn-web.co.uk/raytech/ident/ident368.htm
Which implies a pilot for the boiler section.

Personally I'd still be hitting it with a blow torch to ignite, closing it all up and seeing if / when / how long it took to go out.

I mean it could be air ways being blocked or all sorts - might be nothing to do with ignition at all.
Thank you for your thoughts.
The airways are clean.
The cooker and boiler are separate boxes with no interconnection other than the float that controls level in both.
I did get it to light. Burnt happily until the thermostat temp reached but failed to relight on next cycle. I will keep checking each bit of the sequence for functional failure.
:(

The text I linked to implied a pilot light on later models.

Does yours have the pilot light, and does it have to be lit manually on initial startup, and, if so, is that maintaining?

I could find nothing about ignition transformers etc. which would imply a constant burn from a pilot.

I can't remember what the auto ignition temp of 28sec is, but I suspect it's going to be way way higher than a glow plug will supply, so it would need a spark from somewhere (changes the temp from the autoignition to the much lower flash point).

I'll shut up if I'm being no help. You may well have gone through all this process on your own!

Thank you Julianf for your thoughts. Lead me to replace the glow plug. Reasoning behind ... In cars they wear out, so as everything else was in order, I tried the glow plug. Been working a couple of days now. Thank you for the lead.

Back