Ray Mears - Bushcraft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiba

Established Member
Reaction score
I just watched all of Ray Mear's Bushcraft programs, and was pretty impressed by the woodworking on display. Any one else follow this show? The guy in Sweden making wooden skis was very impressive, as was Ray himself making a canoe paddle using little more than an axe and a pocket knife, and Ray and the bowyer making a longbow and arrows using flint tools was amazing. Highly Recommended. :D

yeah - it's a fun series: did you catch the episode where he built a birch canoe with a native american canadian guy? That was fascinating - and the bit that really rang true for me was that they both had totally wrecked hands and arm muscles by the time they were done...

Yeah, great episode. No plans, no dimensions, everything built by eye and all using the simplest of tools - simply incredible craftsmanship. I found it quite sad that the birch trees growing today have been so damaged by logging and polution that the bark is thinner and weaker than is really required. I read elsewhere that it's why Mears used a wood/canvas canoe in the next "canoe journey" episode, because he was concerned that the canoe they'd built wouldn't be up to the stresses of the trip. Shame.

I saw bits and bobs of a few episodes. Did he show how he sharpened the tools he was using as he always seems to carry very little with him but his tools must be very sharp to do all that shaping/carving.

Andy

Back