Ray Keys style smock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find the type of smock that Ray keys used to wear?

I know you can get the Tabard/Apron type thing (lots on ebay), but they don't have the elasticated neck or wrap around the waist.

1637675969764.png

It's akin to a dentists smock, of which you'll pay up to 15 quid for.
Wood turning smock will probably start at 40 quid.

They do love to rip us off dont they.

Learn a new trade! I picked one of These up, pretty much this time last year. Can't get in my workshop for more than a half hour during the winter as it's just too damn cold (single brick double garage) and needed something to focus on till the weather improved.

Took me a few hours practise, but then I was knocking out aprons like shelling peas's, that tabard/smock would be an absolute doddle to make.

I have a bunch of old unlined navy blue curtains which proved perfect material for aprons, and the machine has paid for itself in little projects that kinda stacked up over the years. Converting a King-size duvet cover into a double, etc etc

Sorby do their own branded one, I got my last from The Tool Post but unfortunately they have stopped trading. Axminster do their own and several other on Amazon.

For this winter I have "invested" in a cheap soft shell site jacket from screwfix. Nice and warm, shavings just brush off, and only £28 or so.

Cheers guys, I know lots of companies make woodturning smocks....

The question was specifically related to trying to find one like in the picture. The giant picture I added in the first post.

It literally said it in the title :D

To answer your precise question:

"Yes" - on the basis that someone probably does know where to find them. No idea who though.

(unless of course it was a custom made job, in which case the discussion already posted might be helpful)

A lot of topics wander off in odd directions and are more interesting for it. You might be even more upset if you got no responses at all.

Sorby do their own branded one, I got my last from The Tool Post but unfortunately they have stopped trading. Axminster do their own and several other on Amazon.
I have a Tool Post one, a Sorby (no back pockets, wool type material on neck & cuffs which catch all the chips), an Axminster (short sleeves!) and the only I now wear all the time is Lovells of Cardiff the one in 4 different colours on eBay and they embroider the Company name and an individuals name as well. Look on eBay is my advice.

Ray used to do a lot of work with craft supplies both in uk and (separate company) in the US. I’d have a look there - also the us climate makes these lighter weight items more common than in uk!

Back