'Ratter or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a 'Ratter?

• Yep, I'm a 'Ratter and proud, not to say evangelical about it...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leigh Dovetails Rule, you foolish Rodent Lovers!

• 'Rats and Leighs can live in harmony in my workshop, thank you so very much

• Pah! I spit on your 'Rats and Leighs. I have other means of producing machined dovetails

• I'd really like to be 'Ratter when money and/or wallspace allows, but don't tell S/HWMBO...

• Once the lottery win is in, it's a Leigh for me. Just don't tell the LOML...

• Total voters

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's another poll. Forgive me. Some self-proclaimed 'Ratters thought it'd be interesting to see just how many of us there are amongst the membership. Totally anonymous if you fear the wrath of the jigsters. :wink: I thought we'd also include Leigh DT , those with both, A.N Others (anything from a Screwfix Chiwanese knock off to an Incra - sorry Incra owners) and even thos who'd be 'Ratters if they could. If I manage to miss a category that fits you, I apologise. Feel free to point it out. I'll ignore you, but still feel free... :wink:

Edit: Option four should read "I have other means of producing machined dovetails, mortises, sliding dovetails, tenons, housings, rebates, etc etc" Sorry for any confusion... :wink:

Im using a Trend Jig at the moment but would like to be able to cut through dovetails so I will be watching this poll with interest
Rat ? leigh ? or A.N. Other

Nigel

so many trees so little time

i love my rodent he sits on his box on the wall waiting for me to use him and he's no trouble at all i dont have to look for him in drawers or under the bench , yes he is my friend .and if you lot think alf just greases the plane slope :twisted: she also greased the rat slope for me :roll: :roll: .
yes i have a rat .

ratters of the world unite

Proud enough (perhaps dumb enough) to have created a sign above the 'Rat (see current) avatar.

If anyone wants an A4 sized PDF of the sign you can get it at the link below. At least until I clean up the website and it goes away...

Click here.

Drug my feet for a couple years taking a look at the rat each fall at a local woodworking show. Finally got PO at the limitations of the PC omnijig I've had for years. Sold it within two weeks after setting up the rat.

Wish I would have done it sooner.

Woodshopdemos.com, Aldel's site and, of course, Alf's site all played a factor in the final decision.

My oldest son who has worked with me for a time made fun of it--until he used it on a project for his daughter. My wife who is a woodturner is going to be making a toolbox to haul her tools to guild meetings for demonstrations after using it to practice making fine little box joints (great on the second try).

Evangelical? Yep.

Hi All
I certainly am a Ratter!
It allows you to controllably use a router the way you always wanted to.
I certainly couldn't do without it, now.
Cheers
Philly :D

Mike, excellent. I'll print one out :D Not showing as your avatar though, fyi.

houtslager":zkcbt0it said:
SHAME ON YOU ALF

YOU BEING A SELF CONFESSED NEANDER
what about all joints by hand tools heh !
Yeah, yeah. <hangs head in shame, shuffles guiltily> But on the other hand, it's actually very like using hand tools in many respects; just noisier, dustier, quicker and usually more accurate (more my fault with the hand tools than anything). I find hand tools and the 'Rat compliment each other very nicely; some days you want to be quick, others you want to be quiet. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

The Rat is very much a "working to pencil lines" kinda tool-I like it! Not a guide bush in the house!
Cheers
Philly :D

If anyone is interested I can post the CorelDraw 8 file. The graphic is vector-based so it is resizable without distortion. Then you can add your own text to your heart's content.

I can also export it to other formats if CD isn't your thing.

Well, I owe, I owe, so off to work I go...(actually, it's honey-do list day).

I put off purchasing a 'Rat for some time - big mistake. I mainly use it for stress free profiling (wood clamped to the mortice rail, never pushed under the dreaded brush) and finger joints. Not cut many dovetails with it because, dare I confess, I quite like to cut them by hand. Its even better now I have found space to mount the 'Rat on a wall!

Bob

Superb piece of kit. Wouldn't be without mine!

Adam

I have a LittelRat but I'm certainly not evangelical about it - so Alf can we have a RadioButton with "Yes I have a Rat but I'm not necessarily evangelical about it" ?

Unconvinced David

Ham":1uk0xw7n said:
I have a LittelRat but I'm certainly not evangelical about it - so Alf can we have a RadioButton with "Yes I have a Rat but I'm not necessarily evangelical about it" ?
Er, well, thinking about it, by and large, looking at the pros and cons, given the prevailing conditions, all things considered...

No.

Cheers, Alf :wink:

Hi David

Alf":3fxyhrns said:
Ham":3fxyhrns said:
Er, well, thinking about it, by and large, looking at the pros and cons, given the prevailing conditions, all things considered... No.

ROTFL :lol:

Did someone mention fix?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Seems as if this one is more of a Rat vs. Leigh than true opinion of rats! Still the 'rules' were clear!
Cheers, David

Back