Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

'Ratter or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Are you a 'Ratter?

• Yep, I'm a 'Ratter and proud, not to say evangelical about it...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leigh Dovetails Rule, you foolish Rodent Lovers!

• 'Rats and Leighs can live in harmony in my workshop, thank you so very much

• Pah! I spit on your 'Rats and Leighs. I have other means of producing machined dovetails

• I'd really like to be 'Ratter when money and/or wallspace allows, but don't tell S/HWMBO...

• Once the lottery win is in, it's a Leigh for me. Just don't tell the LOML...

• Total voters

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's another poll. Forgive me. Some self-proclaimed 'Ratters thought it'd be interesting to see just how many of us there are amongst the membership. Totally anonymous if you fear the wrath of the jigsters. :wink: I thought we'd also include Leigh DT , those with both, A.N Others (anything from a Screwfix Chiwanese knock off to an Incra - sorry Incra owners) and even thos who'd be 'Ratters if they could. If I manage to miss a category that fits you, I apologise. Feel free to point it out. I'll ignore you, but still feel free... :wink:

Edit: Option four should read "I have other means of producing machined dovetails, mortises, sliding dovetails, tenons, housings, rebates, etc etc" Sorry for any confusion... :wink:

Nigel

Established Member
Reaction score
Im using a Trend Jig at the moment but would like to be able to cut through dovetails so I will be watching this poll with interest
Rat ? leigh ? or A.N. Other

Nigel

so many trees so little time

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
i love my rodent he sits on his box on the wall waiting for me to use him and he's no trouble at all i dont have to look for him in drawers or under the bench , yes he is my friend .and if you lot think alf just greases the plane slope :twisted: she also greased the rat slope for me :roll: :roll: .
yes i have a rat .

ratters of the world unite

A

Anonymous

when the price drops by 50% I will be a proud ratter :D

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Proud enough (perhaps dumb enough) to have created a sign above the 'Rat (see current) avatar.

If anyone wants an A4 sized PDF of the sign you can get it at the link below. At least until I clean up the website and it goes away...

Click here.

Drug my feet for a couple years taking a look at the rat each fall at a local woodworking show. Finally got PO at the limitations of the PC omnijig I've had for years. Sold it within two weeks after setting up the rat.

Wish I would have done it sooner.

Woodshopdemos.com, Aldel's site and, of course, Alf's site all played a factor in the final decision.

My oldest son who has worked with me for a time made fun of it--until he used it on a project for his daughter. My wife who is a woodturner is going to be making a toolbox to haul her tools to guild meetings for demonstrations after using it to practice making fine little box joints (great on the second try).

Evangelical? Yep.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I certainly am a Ratter!
It allows you to controllably use a router the way you always wanted to.
I certainly couldn't do without it, now.
Cheers
Philly :D

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike, excellent. I'll print one out :D Not showing as your avatar though, fyi.

houtslager":zkcbt0it said:
SHAME ON YOU ALF

YOU BEING A SELF CONFESSED NEANDER
what about all joints by hand tools heh !
Yeah, yeah. <hangs head in shame, shuffles guiltily> But on the other hand, it's actually very like using hand tools in many respects; just noisier, dustier, quicker and usually more accurate (more my fault with the hand tools than anything). I find hand tools and the 'Rat compliment each other very nicely; some days you want to be quick, others you want to be quiet. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
The Rat is very much a "working to pencil lines" kinda tool-I like it! Not a guide bush in the house!
Cheers
Philly :D

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested I can post the CorelDraw 8 file. The graphic is vector-based so it is resizable without distortion. Then you can add your own text to your heart's content.

I can also export it to other formats if CD isn't your thing.

Well, I owe, I owe, so off to work I go...(actually, it's honey-do list day).

GCR

Established Member
Reaction score
I put off purchasing a 'Rat for some time - big mistake. I mainly use it for stress free profiling (wood clamped to the mortice rail, never pushed under the dreaded brush) and finger joints. Not cut many dovetails with it because, dare I confess, I quite like to cut them by hand. Its even better now I have found space to mount the 'Rat on a wall!

Bob

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Superb piece of kit. Wouldn't be without mine!

Adam

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a LittelRat but I'm certainly not evangelical about it - so Alf can we have a RadioButton with "Yes I have a Rat but I'm not necessarily evangelical about it" ?

Unconvinced David

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ham":1uk0xw7n said:
I have a LittelRat but I'm certainly not evangelical about it - so Alf can we have a RadioButton with "Yes I have a Rat but I'm not necessarily evangelical about it" ?
Er, well, thinking about it, by and large, looking at the pros and cons, given the prevailing conditions, all things considered...

No.

Cheers, Alf :wink:

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi David

Alf":3fxyhrns said:
Ham":3fxyhrns said:
Er, well, thinking about it, by and large, looking at the pros and cons, given the prevailing conditions, all things considered... No.
ROTFL :lol:

Did someone mention fix?

Cheers
Neil

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Newbie_Neil":jicsydk7 said:
Did someone mention fix?
No, but I did mention:
If I manage to miss a category that fits you, I apologise. Feel free to point it out. I'll ignore you, but still feel free...
I'm a 'Ratter of my word. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Seems as if this one is more of a Rat vs. Leigh than true opinion of rats! Still the 'rules' were clear!
Cheers, David