RAS cutting woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely no need to pay that sort of money for a blade.
I buy cheap freud blades from ebay or if I want something special I talk to Doug at cutting solutions who is very ggod value indeed.
I've never spent more than £30 on a single blade - dado sets yes.

Bob

Doug is a member here and supplies quality new blades at sensible prices.
member7201.html

Ian at tuffsaws (google tuffsaws) also a member sells top notch bandsaw blades and also does some circular saw blades on his website. I've not tried them but if his BS blades are anything to go by, they will also be very good.

Both guys are willing to give advice.

hth

Bob

I recently bought a new blade for my table saw from Doug at Cutting Solutions and can only say the service price and delivery was first class. Blade is brilliant and cost me less than the Freud one it replaced. Another satisfied customer. :wink:

Thanks Mailee. I never knew of Doug, I need a couple of blades so I'll give him a phone see if he can sort me out with what I need.

Thanks again.

Studders, I took your advice on routing a scarificial strip on the table top. I made a dozen of them so should last me a while. Have a look at the photo. I should have painted it red though, as a reminder to keep my fingers out of the way - great tip thanks again.

David

RASInsertplate.jpg

9fingers":22ijwvqw said:
David,

Do you know what the difference is between your two blades? presumably both have negative rake.

I too have both a mitre saw and a RAS and was considering getting rid of the mitre saw or more correctly not replacing it when it eventually dies (cheap Titan brand with bits breaking etc)
But I will keep the RAS set at 90 degrees and possibly with a dado head in for the same reasons that you cite and look for a replacement mitre saw when the time comes.

Bob

After getting rid of my SCMS when I brought the RAS I now miss and regret it. The radial arm saw is a fantastic saw and im happy with it and wouldn't replace it with a SCMS now but, for many things a SCMS is faster and feels safer. Im going to buy a new one after xmas.

Bluekingfisher":3398cn5d said:
I should have painted it red though, as a reminder to keep my fingers out of the way - great tip thanks again.

David

RASInsertplate.jpg
That's the very kiddie, good idea to paint it Red or even just draw some diagonal Red lines on them. They make resetting the arm much easier as, I don't know about yours but, on mine there is some slop in the indexing notches.

Hudson Carpentry - I totally agree, a SMS may not out last a RAS but for fiddly little mitre cuts, chopping and changing the set up of the RAS would soon drive me bonkers.

Studders - So far the saw seems very tight, no slop but having the single line for re aligning is very handy. I have waxed that particular isert but the next one I'll make a special purchase of a red marker pen and draw some cross hatchings.

Back