Rapier 500

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolNik

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a Rapier 500 (equivlent to a #5, I believe) for $50 NZD Which is about 30 GBP. Does anyone know anything about these planes and whether they are worth having for a user plane?
Cheers
Robyn

Not sure if many folks on this here forum, maybe @Derek Cohen (Perth Oz) Cohen @IWW or @Vann might be able to tell you better.
Seems some of them have a turnscrew rather than a cam for the lever cap, like what you'd see on most Bailey planes, and likely preferred by most.
More importantly, I see a lot of them/most have very thin castings, but some don't.

If its a good one it should have nothing lacking really.
Sounds about the same money as you'd pay for a new one in the hardware shop.
I guess there must be a few brands which most here wouldn't be familiar with, so maybe folks above might be able to mention a few others to look out for.

Tom

Not sure if many folks on this here forum, maybe @Derek Cohen (Perth Oz) Cohen @IWW or @Vann might be able to tell you better.
Seems some of them have a turnscrew rather than a cam for the lever cap, like what you'd see on most Bailey planes, and likely preferred by most.
More importantly, I see a lot of them/most have very thin castings, but some don't.

If its a good one it should have nothing lacking really.
Sounds about the same money as you'd pay for a new one in the hardware shop.
I guess there must be a few brands which most here wouldn't be familiar with, so maybe folks above might be able to mention a few others to look out for.

Tom
Thanks Tom, at this stage I’m thinking of passing unless someone here has a strong opinion otherwise.

Cheaper copy manufactured in the north east of England post war I believe.

Build quality not up to Stanley level.. not worth £30, £15 perhaps.

For what it's worth my first no4 was a rapier, £2 from a junk shop. It works but it's heavy and rather 'sticky'. The Stanley no4 I inherited a while back just feels right and works beautifully compared to the rapier.

Latest posts

Back