RANT.. ****** Windows Vista!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chisel":1ahqaemb said:
Only ordered the new pc three weeks or so ago and took delivery a week or so ago and was dissapointed that only vista was listed as an option and not xp. Don't know if I didn't look hard enough or if they have changed since then.......
I guess they changed it just after you've purchased yours. I would give them a ring of email them you're having problems with it.

How do you use the xp compatability mode, just on installing a piece of software, or on running it or on both ?

I tend to say both. Microsoft has changed a lot of the functions and data types programs use to do things. The compatibility modes try to emulate and convert everything back and forth between the old and new functions and types. Doing so does enable most software to function again (at the cost of a performance penalty).

Wonder if I complained enough if they would ship me some xp discs ?

I guess with the major 'policy' changes Dell are making there is a fair change they do.

Hi,
I have just given up on Microsoft. I just can't be bothered with all of the poor performance, bloat, bloat, useless gizmos, non operating system application level meddling, detail issues that should not be happening, lack of adherence to standards, blue screen hells, Vista being a triumph of the ephemeral over substance.

I'm now an middleaged man who grew up in an IT world BEFORE Microsoft, who met Bill gates when I went to the US to evaluate MS Dos VS PC Dos ( I think they were the names). Its just got worse since then.

So feeling bored and cantankerous I have just bought a new laptop, stripped off the MS excuse for an operating system and installed a Linux distribution called Ububtu.

Absolutely incredible to a fearful non Linux person like me that it worked well as an install, that the interface was better than Windows, that there is piles of free software out there that works well and lacks the bloat of MS.

Now fully converted to the Linux free software world for laptop with full ( as far as I can see) compatibility back to MS documents and spreadsheets as well as graphics.

Goodbye Microsoft. You will not be missed as I convert my company IT to Linux ( Ubuntu).

regards

Alan

Back