Random Orbit Sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimum97

Reaction score
Hello
I have been doing lots of research re the above on this site and various others and it seems the most recommended one is the Metabo SXE450. Before I go ahead and make the purchase wanted to check whether you guys (who seem to be a very knowledgable bunch =D> ) still thought this was the best one.
It's for amateur use, mainly for sanding down my furniture at home, but also was going to do the kitchen worktops, and my husband wants to do some of the external woodwork too.
Thanks all.
:D

it is a very good one. It may be overkill for what you have planned though, unless woodworking is a hobby and you plan to use it for years. If you are likely to have completed your projects in the next 2 years, and not use it much after that, i would just buy something with a 2 year warranty (from the likes of screw fix, or even lidl/aldi and save some money.

Hello
How long we plan to use it for depends on how well we get on with doing it. In my experience, it is generally a false economy to buy cheap tools as they can be a pain to use, deliver poor results and not last. I want something fairly good, so it make the job as quick and as easy as possible. I am willing to pay a bit more for ease of use and saved time (if that makes sense). We normally buy Bosch products but was put off a Bosch DIY random orbit because of the mixed reviews. Am willing to take recommendations from you all though if you still think something cheaper would be OK for what we want it for.
Thanks!

you won't be disappointed with the metabo.

equally important is the abrasive- have a look at abranet (southern filters are usually amongst the cheapest and do a mixed box), and buy the pad saver if you use the abranet- it is much cheaper to replace than the pad itself.

FWIW, I recently bought my dad a DeWalt ROS (admittedly because the Makita was out of stock). He loves it and I'm pretty impressed with it too. £109 from Screwfix.

+1 for the Metabo - it is my wife's favourite tool. You won't regret getting a decent quality tool and will find many more uses for it.

James

Another vote for the Metabo. I must have had mine for about two years and I couldn't be happier with it. I'd buy the same again without a doubt.

When I was in Canada carpentering, we had Festool sanders, as you'd expect they were very good. Not having that kind of money now I'm back in blighty, I settled for a Makita B05030. The Festool had something like a 2.5mm stroke which makes for a nice smooth action without shredding the wood, so I looked around until I found a cheaper alternative with the same stroke - the Makita, so far it seems to be just as good and comes with a 3 year warrenty.

I've had mine many years and it's never been anything but a joy to use. I got a package deal which came with various discs, polishing pad and a metabox.

+1 matabo.
The only problem I have with it is the dust capture. But having spent <£50 at liddle for one of the shop vacs (where you route the power of the hand tool through the vac, which then switches on automatically), I've never looked back. The vac hose pushes nicely straight into the sander no problem.

I would say for furnature, you will also need something for getting into corners. Something like the boch delta sander. Otherwise you risk cutting into edge pieces with the side of the orbital sander when you try to get into corners.

Great! Thanks everyone. Looks like the Metabo is a goer then. And will look into some abranet sheets too. :D

marcros":kt2xorct said:
you won't be disappointed with the metabo.

equally important is the abrasive- have a look at abranet (southern filters are usually amongst the cheapest and do a mixed box), and buy the pad saver if you use the abranet- it is much cheaper to replace than the pad itself.

Do I need a different pad to start with if I am using Abranet sanding discs?

Ian down london way":kt2xorct said:
+1 matabo.
The only problem I have with it is the dust capture. But having spent <£50 at liddle for one of the shop vacs (where you route the power of the hand tool through the vac, which then switches on automatically), I've never looked back. The vac hose pushes nicely straight into the sander no problem.

Will keep an eye out at Lidl for if they get the in again - look handy for lots of things!

Ian down london way":kt2xorct said:
I would say for furnature, you will also need something for getting into corners. Something like the boch delta sander. Otherwise you risk cutting into edge pieces with the side of the orbital sander when you try to get into corners.

Oh my goodness, a delta sander, that's a whole new set of research! Are they markedly better than a mouse?

I bought a Bosch green DIY model. It has lasted about four years of being used a few times a month, as well as some bigger jobs like attacking a heavily painted and varnished 5' x 8' solid oak door. It is on its last legs now and is making unbearably loud noises. I wouldn't buy one again.

+1 for the Dewalt from Screwfix. I've had mine for about 2 years and am very pleased with it.

John

I also have a Dewalt that I've had a few years and can't fault it. I noticed a painter and decorator in Chichester the other day using the same model to prepare a shop front prior to painting. It's comfortable to use and not too heavy.

On the other hand my first two ROS machines were green Bosch and neither lasted well so I wouldn't consider that range.

Misterfish

Back