Random Orbit Sanders - which one is best

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petercaldwell

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some help.
I need a good corded random orbit sander,hopefully one that can remove a noticeable amount of material but also leave a nice finish. I'm looking in the £100 ish bracket but would pay more if thats whats needed. Any advice? So far the list seems to be
Bosch pex 300
Bosch pro gex 125
bosch pex 220
de walt 6423
Makita bo5041

I had to bin a Bosch GEX 150 when I traded for one that turned out to have worn out bearings.
The design made it impossible to get to the main bearing without destroying it.
That has put me off all the Bosch sanders as I expect anything pretending to be a pro quality tool to have bearings and (where relevant) brushes replaced a few times during its life.

Don't shoot me. I'm also in the market for one. What one does Will Kirk use in 'the repair shop' Seen him use it loads of times, but I can't quite see the make. It's yellow, but not dewalt

I have the metabo and can't fault it for the price. It is the only one I have owned and used but I bought it on the strength of recommendations.

The one Will uses (as above) is a Mirka Deros . I think they are very good (and have one) for all sorts of reasons. But not within the £100 budget.

I would consider a decent sander to be one of those tools it is worth investing in because you will use it regularly, or on most projects. Spend the top end of your budget on it.

I would avoid the black and decker. It is likely to be a cheap tool in an expensive wrapper. I would stretch your budget to get the metabo, because I have first hand experience to say that it is good. I suspect that the DeWalt, Bosch, Makita are probably as good. If I were replacing mine now I would probably get the same again. The mirka is probably far better but I doubt I could stretch to it. Festool is generally at the top of its game but I respect the opinion of Mr Percy and have never used a festool sander myself. Either way, out if the budget here anyway.

Also, buy decent abrasive not the cheapest possible. You can use decent abrasive on a cheap sander. Abranet is very good (use a backing pad), the festool gets good reviews but I haven't used enough of that to have an opinion.

Little late now but I also have the Metabo, a great tool. I've been using the Bosch discs for a long time but I don't think they are as good as they were. Anyone using a better disc?

Another thumbs up for the Mirka Deros - I know it costs more but haven't regretted it for a minute. Dust collection is amazing / near total.

I have a Bosch pex400. I have had no problem with it and dust collection with a decent shop vac is excellent ( dont expect the little box on the back to be effective). The amount if material removed and quality of finish is more dependant on your abrasive than the sander itself (presuming the same size abrasive discs are being used).

Back