Random orbit sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Recommendation please . I use Bosch hook and loop discs 125 mm for my Random orbit sander' which keep flying off the sander as and when they feel like .does anyone have the same problem and what do you recommend as a replacement Mock

I use a range of mirka grit discs and whilst they're a bit more expensive they last for ages, you don't have to faff about lining up holes and the Velcro doesn't appear to an issue. It feels (to me at least) that the extraction is improved as well.

Well worn discs do move about on the pad and that's really the sign to change over.

You may find it’s the pad not the disk. I use a pad saver which is effectively a sacrificial set of hooks, I find they wear out after at a guess 50hrs of sanding. Also I’ve noticed I have bad technique where I lift the edge of the sander and over time the pad has become convex, as a result the centre of the pad wears the hooks very quickly.

Fitz.

I’ve got a pretty cheap (and fairly cheerful) Ryobi orbital sander - uses the velcro type discs. I bought a load of them off ebay or amazon for not a lot of money and I can’t say I’ve ever experienced the problems you’ve been having. When they go on, they definitely stay on.

When I’m actually sanding, I tend to go pretty light on the wood and try to let the sanding disc do the work rather than push down hard. I’m not sure if this is correct but seems to be working for me and the little sanding I’ve had to do with this tool have come out really nice and smooth.

I would definitely recommend Mirka discs. They are fantastic and if you buy a big box they are a lot cheaper per disc. A crepe block is great for running over to extend the life of your discs

Latest posts

Back