Random orbit sander - buying suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDRiley

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, my ROS requires replacement. I currently have a makita bo5041 (125mm dia) which has provided good service for c.8 years. It’s been decent if unremarkable. Main bug bear is the ridiculously short cable.

Any recommendations on a replacement/upgrade? Budget is £200 max. I don’t want cordless.

Many thanks

I have the metabo 6" and very happy with it. It is built like a tank. Coupled with abranet discs I have been extremely pleased with the results.

Although i haven't used mirka sander, I have heard that it is comparable to that except the mirka has fewer vibrations and the ergonomics are better. I can't verify this fact, so don't quote me on it :p

My metabo cost £125 or something over a year ago

There was a Mirka sander on fleabay for £150, don't remember whether it was a 5 inch or a 6 inch version.

another +1 for the metabo. As well as being a good length, it is nice cable too. flexible stuff!

I’ve got 2 DeWalts. For the money, they’re great. I’d love a Mirka if I had deep enough pockets though!

Another happy Metabo owner, had it a number of years after recommendations here, I use it mostly with abranet disks and hooked up to a shop vac with power take off, will be using it today as it happens.

Whatever you buy, if you don't already know, it's worth getting some pad savers.

Thanks very much everyone for your helpful suggestions - really appreciated.

I’ve decided to go for the Metabo but no doubt the dewalt would have been good too. I’ve also ordered some pad savers and abranet- all turning up tomorrow so Christmas has come early for me! Happy sanding.

If you can increase your budget slightly the Bosch GET 55 - a Rotex for half the price.

Thanks again to those who recommended the Metabo ROS. I received mine last week and have used it today properly for the first time. Really pleased with useability and the result. It's also been a bit of a revalation in that the cable is usefully long AND my exatractor plugs straight into the dust port without the need for adaptors, jubilee clips or duct tape!

I have 2 Metabo ROS , One word of advice when you remove the velcro sanding dosc , Don't just pull / yank it off or after time you will pull the sponge pad off the macine , Make sure you hold the spunge backing pad part then peel of the used disc , Don't ask me how I know this :rolleyes:

I have 2 Metabo ROS , One word of advice when you remove the velcro sanding dosc , Don't just pull / yank it off or after time you will pull the sponge pad off the macine , Make sure you hold the spunge backing pad part then peel of the used disc , Don't ask me how I know this :rolleyes:
Ha! Thanks for the tip Blister.

Back