Random machinery restoration questions (ongoing)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Im probably going to have a bunch of little questions as i go through all my machinery this year and figured i would make a place i can come back to instead of posting a new thread every time i can't find a solid answer to a small question.

First up- non-metric threads: do you personally replace original bolts and clean up original threads where needed or drill and retap them to make everything modern metric ? Most of my machinery is on the later end of vintage and has a mix of whitworth and metric hardware so having it all match and up to date is probably idea. Another thought that would be probably very expensive, is there any niche threading kit you can buy that recuts common whitworth threads to there nearest metric alternative?
I have the chance to pick up a whitworth tap and die set locally but unless i plan to clean up the old threads it seems obsolete

Where ever possible we stick to the original bolts and threads. WW bolts can still be found, but increasingly difficult. We rethread damaged threads or if too bad rather than helicoil convert to metric. In reality not too many thread forms are used in old wood work machinery. I have one spanner with two sizes either end that fits about 99% of all bolts we come across.

Looking at the profiles i would assume whitworth bolts are stronger due to the longer surface area of the deeper threads- any idea on that? because if not, im probably set on just drilling them out for common, modern threads so everything is metric and matching but if there is an advantage to the whitworth bolts ill stick to keeping them where possible

I stick with original threads wherever possible. On my old machines I'd just be creating confusion for the next guy if I introduced metric threads to the mix (and if I live long enough I might be that next guy). I have a set (or two) of BSW stocks and dies for cutting new threads and extending old ones, and also various BSW dienuts for repairing old threads.

If God had meant old English machines to have metric threads he'd have filled in the English Channel ;).

Cheers, Vann.

Looking at the profiles i would assume whitworth bolts are stronger due to the longer surface area of the deeper threads- any idea on that? because if not, im probably set on just drilling them out for common, modern threads so everything is metric and matching but if there is an advantage to the whitworth bolts ill stick to keeping them where possible

Nothing wrong with BSW -BSF if you have them on a machine why change them is it hard to find a spanner that fits -no it is not.
There are many BSW -BSF sets of tap and dies you can pick up if you need to replace any no problem.

I’ve found some sellers on eBay offering BSW, some of them are UNC.

Theres one or 2 Chinese sellers offering machine screws in domed, cheese head and csk - I bought some for my Wadkin machine and they fit fine - and dirt cheap.

For what its worth, if you get stuck and need to clean out or re-cut a thread in old machinery, I have a decent selection of quality taps and die’s ranging from around 5/16” to 1” in BSF, BSW and UNC/UNF, including a few taper’ cutters. Its worth remembering that while metric and UNC/unf have 60 degree thread angles, BSF and BSW have 55 degree thread angles.

I bought them as a job-lot a couple of years ago from the son of a retired engineer/machinist and there must be around 15 kg of them excluding holders!

If you know what size(s) you need and can’t find them in your area I can post to you and you can send it/them back when you are done.

Apologies if its against the rules to post a link (mod’s please delete if necessary), but the website below has a useful charts of thread details, old and new, including the important angles and tpi information. Only posting for the thread tables - I have no connection to the company.

https://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/thread-dimensions-4-w.asp

Last edited:
Keep as original.
For really fouled Whitworth threads, there are Helicoil kits for Whitworth.
Whitworth spanners are really cheap and usually available from carboot sales. Taps and dies are much the same. (Co-incidentally these spanner/tap/dies are usually good quality, as the poorer quality went to the scrap yard years before.)

Bod

Thanks for all the advice!
I've been talked around, i may even have the taps and dies but they are all bundled in a mixed pile in a spare toolbox currently; ill have to check.

I may even record everything and edit stuff down for the tube; i took stock of what ill be doing yesterday and the current list ill be working though will keep me uploading regularly:
meddingsLt3
Kerry super 8
2-3 high speed bench drills
DW1150 P/T
Wadkin AGS10
Startrite 352
Unnamed cast iron 4" planer
Meddings/pacera 12" sharpener
Union grad
some cool smaller stuff like a wadkin mitre guillotine, record 52, a leg vice and anvil.

Its going to be a long old road. Im currently just waiting until i can find and pick up a decent puller at a good price second hand

Last edited:
The Draper pullers are relatively cheap, they are what I use. I’ve destroyed one by massive leverage with two of us using all of our grunt and levers on it to shift something, the thread finely called it a day! The claws or spider didn’t bend or break which I was impressed with

The Draper pullers are relatively cheap, they are what I use. I’ve destroyed one by massive leverage with two of us using all of our grunt and levers on it to shift something, the thread finely called it a day! The claws or spider didn’t bend or break which I was impressed with
I will take a look, im trying to avoid any of the re-branded kits on ebay and amazon at the moment and wait for something more substantial for the same price, used but i wont wait much longer before i get on and buy something retail

King Aether

any chance of a photo of that Medding /Pacera sharpener......
with that name I can only find a drill press...
I bought a dismantled Kitty 12incher (no longer made now) for buttons and want any ideas for upgrades...

as for a puller a van came around to my place flogging stuff bought a set of 3 pullers
1x2 leg
2x3 leg....
gotta say they were a real good buy.....no name Chinese at that price.....
they have had a great deal of heavy use.....my next buy will be a Chinese 10 ton Hydraulic jobby.....

I'd be ordering them from somewhere like Machine Mart - Halfrouds for the warranty.....

This one isn't mine, its from the interweb but al the same. The pacera one was made by meddings when they first took over as far as i kno and the only change is the name change on the bottom casting. Its about 31" in length, slow moving.
BUSH-CRAFT-KNIFE-MAKING-MEDDINGS-240v-WET-STONE.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have/know who has a meddings M10 ? Im picking one up next weekend for my partners jewellery room, ill likely add it to the project list but i can't find much info and im hoping to see inside the back and figure out how to change the encased motor

Is anywhere that sells DOL starters made to look vintage but up to date and safe? era-specific to the 50-60s ideally

Back