Random- how many sockets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had none for several years then I started using one end as an office. I know have 20 in the office part for all the screens, computers, printers, soldering station etc etc etc. I have started the slippery slope and have 4 sockets in my workshop end. Two for the metalworking bits and two for woodworking bits.

I fitted 12 pairs of twin double sockets (ie 4 at each point) in a ring, and these are all good quality branded metal clad (cheap sockets are pain), all at just above shoulder height as this stope training cables. Light circuits inside and out, 4 external sockets, alarm and CCTV circuit, 3 16 amp sockets, and a big kill switch. Also a dedicated consumer unit with a few spare circuit spaces. Pus a separate feed to a nearby potting shed for lights and sockets. I did all the socket work and trunking and my electrician checked it, fitted the CU and armoured and certified it. The workshop is 10 or 12 metres by 3 metres I think.

How many ring circuits do you have for 49 sockets and what is your main breaker amperage?

The consumer board has 10 slots - no idea what the main breaker amperage is, but am guessing that it is more of a question of what tools are run, not how many sockets there are - an empty socket using no amps?! :) I know that my library has 24 plugs (12 doubles) and then a further 24 (12 doubles) in the cupboard we use for my computers / servers - all run off one circuit and no issues... so I suspect that 49 doubles run across a minimum of 4 circuits will not be too excessive! Everything is being put in by pros and signed off correctly - all to the latest spec. with RCDs on every circuit and surge protection across the whole lot - belt and braces approach!

The consumer board has 10 slots - no idea what the main breaker amperage is, but am guessing that it is more of a question of what tools are run, not how many sockets there are - an empty socket using no amps?! :) I know that my library has 24 plugs (12 doubles) and then a further 24 (12 doubles) in the cupboard we use for my computers / servers - all run off one circuit and no issues... so I suspect that 49 doubles run across a minimum of 4 circuits will not be too excessive! Everything is being put in by pros and signed off correctly - all to the latest spec. with RCDs on every circuit and surge protection across the whole lot - belt and braces approach!
That sounds like a good setup.

If it is just yourself in the workshop then how many task can you perform at once? Just need enough so everything can be pluged in that needs be, ie pillar drill, table saw etc and one double for the workbench. I only have two sixteen amp sockets and four doubles in my workspace and never feel short changed.
Everything is being put in by pros and signed off correctly - all to the latest spec. with RCDs on every circuit and surge protection across the whole lot - belt and braces approach!
For your sockets look at fitting RCBO's rather than just group RCD's.

I fitted 12 double sockets round the walls and 10 double sockets along the centre of the ceiling. Also a 16A socket. All metal clad and conduit. so easy to expand. Putting in the ceiling sockets worked very well. I now have enough sockets in the right places.
Had I realised the garage would be used as a work room. I would have put some sockets in the floor when I built it.

If it is just yourself in the workshop then how many task can you perform at once? Just need enough so everything can be pluged in that needs be, ie pillar drill, table saw etc and one double for the workbench. I only have two sixteen amp sockets and four doubles in my workspace and never feel short changed.

• Pillar drill / mitre saw / two different vacuum systems (HPLV / LPHV) / air filter / band saw / thicknesser / planer / scroll saw / sander / ultrasonic cleaning tank / laser engraver / router table (to be bought!) / lathe (to be bought) / glue gun / soldering iron is 16 plugs
  • TV / firestick / sonos / handheld vacuum / laptop for engraver / phone charger (x 2 as they are wireless disks) / ipad charging is another 7 plugs
  • Charging for: electric lawnmower / battery for petrol lawnmower / two chargers for bosch battery system / Dremel / filter mask helmet is another 6 plugs
  • Intelligent plugs for two lighting systems in the garden / one for the drive bell is another 3 plugs
that is over 30 plugs in constant use

capacity for the future including filters / pumps for the pond etc. and then spare plugs in case location of plugs is not right and I choose to move things around means that we are putting more than that into just the workshop...

then we have the storage building alongside it which will have the home gym / chest freezer / fridge-freezer / etc. and therefore has two circuits of plugs
very easy to get the numbers up :) I am known for believing that you can never have too many plugs!

For your sockets look at fitting RCBO's rather than just group RCD's.

If by RCBO you mean the fuse modules which each have their own RCD on them, then that is what we are having (not very good on terminology, but don't worry, I am not doing the work - just paying the bill!) - every circuit is protected individually across house and workshop units - when we moved in a year ago, the wiring is up to standard but the consumer unit was not, so we had a proper electrical survey done and have been going through bringing everything up to a very high standard - probably more than we needed to do, but it is reassuring to know that all is done correctly...

It is good to see an electrical instalation done properly by proper sparkys, and you appreciate it. I have seen far too many dodgy jobs in the past.

If by RCBO you mean the fuse modules which each have their own RCD on them, then that is what we are having (not very good on terminology, but don't worry, I am not doing the work - just paying the bill!) - every circuit is protected individually across house and workshop units - when we moved in a year ago, the wiring is up to standard but the consumer unit was not, so we had a proper electrical survey done and have been going through bringing everything up to a very high standard - probably more than we needed to do, but it is reassuring to know that all is done correctly...
You will know they are RCBO's when you get the bill, they are more expensive but offer full protection for both fault current and Residual, its all I would fit when I changed boards. Yes there are many consumer units that are now not to standard since the regs changed so they must be capable of containing a thermal event with all cable entries sealed, thats why there were a lot of the old boards cheap on ebay.

An electrician just left my garage, 5 new double sockets are in, a total of 11 usable on a mains ring.

I find it odd that people still use ring mains, these days a radial circuit is both easier to install and very much easier to test. I suppose it is just a habbit but a very old one. Rings came about through shortages of copper after the war in 47 to allow for the massive post war reconstruction. All workshop enviroments are better served with singles and trunking as far more adaptable and easier. If you have ever seen the consequences of a ring being accidently broken by a DIYer whilst trying to add extra sockets it is not good, trying to pull 30 plus amps through a 2.5 makes for a great form of heating!

What is the difference between radial and ring main? Aren’t they both a circle from and to fuse with plugs on it? (I have very little knowledge of this!) 😀

What is the difference between radial and ring main? Aren’t they both a circle from and to fuse with plugs on it? (I have very little knowledge of this!) 😀
Radial circuit used in lighting, as current draw is low. A single cable (twin & earth) runs from fuse box and terminates at last fitting.
Ring circuit starts at fuse, linked in and out at each socket then returns back to same fuse. House can have multiple of each type.
In example, but not limited to, upstairs sockets on one ring, downstairs sockets on another ring, kitchen appliances on another ring. Cookers and electric showers are on their own individual separate circuits. Upstairs lights on one radial circuit, downstairs on another radial circuit.(this is example from a 1998 new build.) Homes after this date will be different, as regulations are regularly updated and new installations or major changes to an existing installation must confirm to the current legislation regulations.
This is why DIY electrical work should not be a diy job.

Thank you that makes sense... will look forward to watching the electrics installed these next couple of weeks...

6X5m 11 Doubles, plus 2 dub's below the eaves "externals" for outside work.

So no more than a metre away from a socket round the perimeter.

Final Ring Circuits (FRC) as they are now called??? are a very British thing, as is T&E, I think its only the UK, Gibraltar and Singapore that use them as a matter of corse, the rest of the world use Radials, sockets in a straight line from the CU (Consumer Unit) in France twelve sockets allowed on a 2.5mm cable off a 20A breaker, eight sockets allowed on 1.5mm cable off a 16A breaker, all cable to be of the same section and run in conduit, only eight breakers to any one RCD, separate circuits for white goods and hob oven etc, RCBO's are rare, but becoming more frequent in use, not unusual to see four row Consumer Units, domestic three phase installations split into single phase for each floor or zone are also not unusual.
DSC00487.jpeg

I'll preface this by saying akirk above probably knows a little more than me about electrical installations, so bear with me!

I kinda understand the logic of ring main circuits. But I've just read, (before reading MikeJhn above about socket limits in France, so maybe irrelevant question now), that radials can have unlimited sockets on 2.5mm cable (under 50sqm area, I think it said). It did explain this would be for normal home type usage, not large draw such as a line of tumble driers.

So my dummy question - how come it's ok to have the single radial cable just daisy chaining loads of sockets? I must be missing something, as that feels to my tiny brain, a bit like a spur?

If it's just too complicated to explain, just tell me to wind my neck in and concentrate on something I understand 🤐

Ok thanks to everyone for all the support! I’m going to go for 13 double sockets with 2 16a sockets too.
Thanks everyone!

JFYI; In the UK, "The IET Wiring Regulations (BS 7671) permit an unlimited number of 13A socket outlets (at any point unfused single or double, or any number fused) to be installed on a ring circuit, provided that the floor area served does not exceed 100 m2."

But please note that BS7671 is not a "statutory instrument" therefore not the electrical regulations as they are often referred to, but a British Standard.

Latest posts

Back