Random- how many sockets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
How many 13A sockets do people have in their workshop?
I was thinking of upgrading as I have 6 and it’s getting a little annoying unplugging just to use a machine for 10 seconds!

Ideal world, you'd have as many as possible, a double socket every meter or two. In reality, the only restrictions are cost and most importantly the safety of supplying to all the sockets. Hypertheticals are pointless, work out what all your kit draws, what is the most you could conceivably use at any one time, then talk to an electrician

Dependent on the circuit limitations and what you run concurrently.
Its no use having 12 sockets, if you have 5 things running at the same time that load the circuit to maximum amperage/wattage of the
Circuit. Also remembering that on start up, a machine will draw its max current.

Personally I have 6 double sockets on w/shop consumer unit / fuse board, all sockets are full, but I also don't run everything in them at same time.
W/shop 5m x 3m, full ring electrical installation to house consumer unit, left to certified electrician to install, not a diy job anyone should do.

Last edited:
It’s just not the number it’s where they are that’s important. I have a single one on the ceiling for the fine particle catcher, doubles spread around the walls but they’re not used too much. Obviously around the bench area sometimes not just doubles but four at a time, by the time you plug-in the radio the Internet and the phone charger you begin to wish you had more. Ian

12 on the walls,
4 from ceiling
16 and 32A CE switched sockets for the saw, PT and lathe.
Thinking of another 16A CE outlet at the opposite end for the welder.
Single car garage.
Only use a few at a time but about right.

Thirty around the walls, four remote controlled, additional four on the ceiling above the central workbench and twelve in floor box's including 110v remote controlled outlets, the workshop is a 13M square barn and has its own three phase power supply, and I still find I don't have enough where I want them. 😱. So to answer the inevitable question, put in as many as will fit the room preferably a distance apart that equates to half the length of your shortest portable machines lead.🧛‍♂️

Last edited:
My old 'shop was 6m x 6m, I had twenty five doubles. I put in the cheapest I could get as my reasoning was 1/ they would be cheap to replace, and 2/ they wouldn't need replacing unless damaged as once most stuff was plugged in it wouldn't need to be moved again. About twenty years ago they worked out at about £1.30 per box and socket and were installed when the building was built, so little extra cost. Many of them I couldn't get to once shelves, benches etc. were in place, and in 12 years I didn't replace a socket.

I have a double socket every 6’ they are metal clad type connected by conduit so adding extras over the years has been quite easy

A total of 8 - 7 doubles (i.e. 14 outlets) and 1 sngle for the Henry dust extractor - all metalclad boxes linked with conduit. Location and number is for convenience - seldom more than 3 items running at the same time (Record Air Cleaner, Henry dust collector and 1 other saw/planer/sander/router/whatever

<cynic/> Think of a number then double it. Think of spacing then halve it.
Then make sure your fusing / trips are appropriate for use by an silly person, too easy to act like one when not thinking.
If you can't afford the sockets, put in the loops in the wire run ready for when you can.

There is no limit to the number of sockets that can safely be installed in a ring final circuit, if done correctly.

The floor area circuit limits in BS7671 are historical and based on electric heating, however they are there, so to install a single circuit in an area exceeding those would be a departure from BS7671 this would require documenting on the certification.

Whilst the location may not be a workplace, it is likely insured, and insurance requirements will almost certainly require compliance with building regulations, which require compliance with BS7671 for all electrical works, if one follows the guidance published. If one doe wot then t would be down to you to be able to justify that what you have done is as safe or safer, or compliant with the intent of the law. (EAWR will apply if you pay for work, on the person doing the work regardless of the location of the work.)

That said, it is unlikely an issue would arise. However, insurance companies are now tightening up their claims procedures.

Just be sure what is done is safe, and in the event of an issue you can prove this, then crack on.

On a technical point, please realise that a BS1363 double socket outlet, even though it can be legitimately fed by a 32A circuit and it can have two plugs with 13A fuses fitted to them, it is not rated to 32A, nor even 26A. They are rated at 20A, 13A & 6A with 1A “headroom”.

Cheap sockets will often not carry the current of large loads safely for long periods, hence why, electric vehicles should not be charged from just any 13A socket outlet. Additionally the durability of the contacts and switching mechanisms are often inadequate for high load, & frequent use, or a combination thereof.

So, just be mindful of the loads, and the expected use of the sockets when you select the makes. MK are not what they used to be unfortunately…

currently the workshop (used to be garage) has two double sockets... :)
about to have it rewired along with the storage next to it:
- circuit for tools
- circuit for the freezer and fridge-freezer
- circuit for normal plugs
- indoor lighting
- outdoor lighting
- outdoor plugs
spare circuits - we have a 10 slot consumer board in there wired in properly
I think that we are at 98 plug sockets (49 doubles) across all circuits at the last count...
Key has been redundancy in that it is easier to do now rather than add later - so we have some at ceiling height, some at waist height and then spares in parts of the building where nothing is currently planned, but where we could put something one day...

And then add extra for the kettle, toaster, tv, radio and if your not getting on with the wife, the bed side light.😂😂😂
In my case the bench saw, the bandsaw, the lathe, the kiln, the welder, the kettle, the TV, The DVD, The HiFi, the radio, the phone, a couple of lamps and the beer fridge took the first seven doubles. :LOL:

I've got probably 18 doubles in my 5x7m workshop. Just means I never have to faff around moving things to get to a socket.

currently the workshop (used to be garage) has two double sockets... :)
about to have it rewired along with the storage next to it:
- circuit for tools
- circuit for the freezer and fridge-freezer
- circuit for normal plugs
- indoor lighting
- outdoor lighting
- outdoor plugs
spare circuits - we have a 10 slot consumer board in there wired in properly
I think that we are at 98 plug sockets (49 doubles) across all circuits at the last count...
Key has been redundancy in that it is easier to do now rather than add later - so we have some at ceiling height, some at waist height and then spares in parts of the building where nothing is currently planned, but where we could put something one day...

How many ring circuits do you have for 49 sockets and what is your main breaker amperage?

Latest posts

Back