Random acts of kindness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to be A Nice Guy today.

I looked out of my office window (upstairs, spare bedroom) and saw a police car parked outside my NDN's house. Hmm, what's going on?

Well the Services are having a hard time of it at the moment, so I went out and tucked a bar of chocolate under the windscreen wiper.

I went back inside and watched and waited.

After a couple of minutes the second-hottest WPC I've ever seen (the hottest was Katerina who nearly arrested me in Sweden but just gave me a serious ticking off, in perfect English, instead, after her non-English-speaking sidekick had thrust a breathalyser through the left-hand window of my car into the face of my, non-driving, teetotal passenger, apparently oblivious to the absence of a steering wheel...) came back to the car but just reached in and took something off the passenger seat and returned to a neighbour.

I still waited. Ages, actually, I got bored and gave up. I rang EE customer services instead (10/10 BTW). Anything for some company in these strange times, eh?

Then I heard a door and engine start and looked out. I watched her drive off, con cacao, totally oblivious to my generosity. IT WAS MY (second to) LAST BAR OF CHOCOLATE!

I hope she found it before anyone else did! :)

I applaud you for trying to do a kindness for the officer.

Here I wouldn't even think of doing it. They have no way of knowing if the candy is contaminated or tampered with (there are those that would) so they would all toss them in the trash. Without knowing the source I would too and I'm only have a limited number of people that hate me. They aren't supposed to accept gifts either, no matter how small.

You'll make them a lot happier just by telling them how much you appreciate what they do. Not fattening either. :wink:

Pete

You have a point, Pete. That did actually occur to me (afterwards, of course...).
Ah well, whether she ate it or not, I hope it made her feel appreciated.
(I didn't know it was a Hot She when I planted it...)

Inspector":2hm9q7sp said:
I applaud you for trying to do a kindness for the officer.

Here I wouldn't even think of doing it. They have no way of knowing if the candy is contaminated or tampered with (there are those that would) so they would all toss them in the trash. Without knowing the source I would too and I'm only have a limited number of people that hate me. They aren't supposed to accept gifts either, no matter how small.

You'll make them a lot happier just by telling them how much you appreciate what they do. Not fattening either. :wink:

Pete

You are so right, Pete. Many years ago ..way, way back in time..when the Fire Service were on strike, an old lady in Evesham took some bars of Cadbury's chocolate round to the guys huddled round a brazier. Gratefully they scoffed the lot. She didn't agree with their industrial action. She'd rewrapped the contents with ExLax. I make no comment either way.

RogerS":2vl9w569 said:
............................. She didn't agree with their industrial action. She'd rewrapped the contents with ExLax. I make no comment either way.

:shock:

I was on a course when I was in my 40's which was about leadership. A part of the course which was given out as a bit of a joke was to go outside the building from about 11 am and try to find a tramp and take him for lunch. Out of twelve on the course 3 of us managed to take a tramp for lunch. Quite an outcome with the poshest restaurant turning up their noses but feeding us, a McDonalds which took the pi*s and a local cafe which just shrugged and smiled.

The point was leading a reluctant partner somewhere.

From that time on I have tried to do a monthly "good deed" of some kind. I do not always succeed though. Things tried......two old ladies taken to tea in a cafe, paid for old guys bus fare, carried bags to car for lady. I am as uncertain why I do this as always buts it quite relaxing, fun and a bit of a curiosity. I was once shouted at by a 55 ish year old gay man as a he thought I was a pervert of some kind.

There is something satisfying to just something s,mall for someone and not to accept or encourage reward.

I'm a member of a "club" (using the term loosely) .................. "members" try and carry out one good deed per day but it doesn't count if anybody knows it was you who did it.
It really is quite difficult ..................

RogerS":2ihwo4to said:
You are so right, Pete. Many years ago ..way, way back in time..when the Fire Service were on strike, an old lady in Evesham took some bars of Cadbury's chocolate round to the guys huddled round a brazier. Gratefully they scoffed the lot. She didn't agree with their industrial action. She'd rewrapped the contents with ExLax. I make no comment either way.

That was a sh#t thing to do :lol:

doctor Bob":95bxdas2 said:
I'm a member of a "club" (using the term loosely) .................. "members" try and carry out one good deed per day but it doesn't count if anybody knows it was you who did it.
It really is quite difficult ..................

Are you in the boy scouts?
You come across as much older :D

I don't do "organised" charity (I resent paying for high executive salaries), but I do give the gypsy kids money when they are begging at Lidl. We have lived here so long that we are on the second generation (possibly third, it is hard to tell) of scrawny, barefoot, begging children. They are great fun in a snatch-your-wallet-and-leg-it way, and probably make more per hour than I do, but we enjoy the banter. Ages range from 2 - 12 - after that they disappear, but the girls may return later as young mothers with baby attached (not always their own) for extra income opportunities. It's a bit weird being greeted by the clan as long-lost benefactors, but at least the car is still intact when we get done shopping.

Latest posts

Back