Ramped Shooting Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wingate

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a design to utiluse my QS 62 LA plane. I have seen the Tico Vogt board and have purchased a sheet of 1/4" UHMWPE sheet as a sliding surface for the side of the plane and part of a plastic T-square for a bearing strip. A ramp should aid the cutting action and spread the wear on the plane blade. Adjustable work support surfaces, bolts and T-nuts for adjustment. Magswitches or other magnets to help hold the other angled jigs, eg. Donkey. I shall probably use Baltic Birch ply for the major parts. Any tips and advice please.

Mike Wingate":28xhkabo said:
I have been looking for a design to utiluse my QS 62 LA plane. I have seen the Tico Vogt board and have purchased a sheet of 1/4" UHMWPE sheet as a sliding surface for the side of the plane and part of a plastic T-square for a bearing strip. A ramp should aid the cutting action and spread the wear on the plane blade. Adjustable work support surfaces, bolts and T-nuts for adjustment. Magswitches or other magnets to help hold the other angled jigs, eg. Donkey. I shall probably use Baltic Birch ply for the major parts. Any tips and advice please.

Check out Alf's and Derek Cohen's revelant pages (and links thereon). That oughta' do it.

BugBear

Mike Wingate":3adtmpfx said:
New sloping shooting board works well at 90 and 45 degrees.

P1010884.jpg

P1010889.jpg

quoted for image placement.

Mike - if you use the "Img" button when creating your post, the images will appear in your post.

BugBear

Mike Wingate":2nyd5bdl said:
PICT0351.jpg

Some photos of a handle to clip onto the plane. Magnets help the tight friction fit.

Are you sure that's a "QS 62 LA plane" ? :D

Oh, and I see you got "img" working for you. =D>

BugBear

Thanks BB. I am a teacher, so I have to be a learner also. Well spotted, the plane is a school no.5, I keep my QS62 at home, the 62 gives good finish, but if I sharpen and hone the no.5, it really cuts well. I am polishing the ply handle at the moment during my lunch break. I will convert a spare no.5 for fulltime shooting for the kids at school. No front handle or tote as you need to keep up the sideways pressure against the Tufnol side strip.

Latest posts

Back