Rali planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Rali hand planes? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I've never heard of them, but I'm looking to improve my standing on the handraulic side of things...

V.

Vormulac":20qh27c4 said:
Does anyone know anything about Rali hand planes? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
V.

Practical Woodworking Dec 2004 did a review of around 20 planes from £6.50 to £3000, yep 3 grand for a plane.
They looked at the Rali 260L and the Rali 260M.
The Rali 260L uses disposable blades and you can get tungsten blades as well.. The blades are stored in the handle, and also there is a resharpenable blade in the holder at the front of the plane. The reviewer seemed to like it.
Worth a read if you can still get it from the bookstands

V
These always seem to be demonstrated at shows-you know, it slices, it dices, it makes cappuccino,etc.
They seem to be o.k. for diy and site work, but they definitely aren't suitable for fine work in hardwoods.
If you get one write us up a review.
cheers
Philly :ho2

I have one of the little ones (Ralimatic I think?), been a long time since I tried it though. The replacable blades are a pain; too thin and no leeway to resharpen them even a little. Personally I think they're right up with the French magimix plane in being a Bad Thing. Save your money and get yourself a real plane. Or else throw your money in this direction and you can have mine...
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

I saw one of the smoothers being used in a woodyard recently for showing the grain on boards. I've often wondered what they were like.

Bean

Latest posts

Back