Raising effective pitch on low angle Bevel up planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnb

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking around for some time...

I was recently watching a David Charlesworth DVD - 'Furniture Techniques' (I hope he's well on the road to recovery now), in which he said that a low angle bevel up plane can be used on difficult woods by raising the effective pitch. He does this by honing the blade at an angle of 58 degrees - combined with the bedding angle of 12 degrees, this gives an effective pitch of 70 degrees...

The question I have is: how can this be done? If I try to reduce the blade projection in my basic honing guide to allow for a 58 degree angle, the wheel no longer works and the base of the honing guide scrapes along the stone... I was curious to know whether anyone out there knows how to solve this problem. Perhaps a different honing guide would allow for such steep angles, but then things like the Veritas seem to have much wider wheels which would presumably make achieving a camber difficult...

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully recieved!

Hi Jonn

There is a tutorial on my website. This takes you through honing a 50 degree cambered secondary bevel using the Veritas Honing Guide Mk II.

TheVeritasSmallBUSmoother_html_m541da772.jpg

The article is a review of the recently released Small BU Smoother, and the tutorial is about half way through ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheVeritasSmallBUSmoother.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks a lot for the reply Derek. your website is certainly a mine of useful information - I'll have to have a good look through it now!

Freehand at 60º ish. Really easy to do. Doesn't have to be accurate to a degree, for your purposes

:D easier with a bevel down (oops, that goes against the hype.)
Just the same approx bevel as used for the main bezel, so hands are already used to doing it.

dunbarhamlin":17p0varf said:
easier with a bevel down (oops, that goes against the hype.)

Doesn't stop it being true though! :D

This is one of the things I like about the wheels on Kell guides being off to the sides. You can rip a straight board in two, put one half under each wheel and hone any angle you like up to almost 90.

RKNO2.jpg

Up here for thinking, down there for dancing!

I recently had this dilemma as well. As Matthew has pointed out, the Richard Kell No. 2 guide can handle the task although it is more difficult than honing a more conventional angle. To get the bevel I used two steel rules as my wheel raiser; one normal steel rule and a very thin mini ruler I also use for the back bevel "ruler trick".

Also, keep in mind that for a BU plane you'll need a more pronounced camber to the blade.

I use the Kell III guide and the problem is that:

002small-3.jpg

it 'grounds' when you get anywhere near 45deg, so the answer is quite simples...make an elevated runway:

005small-7.jpg

so that it can be slid along from one grit film to the next. This one has been made using two strips of 6mm mdf and as a test the last pic shows one of my gash LV A2 blades being 'honed' at an:

006small-6.jpg

angle far greater than 45deg - Rob

it 'grounds' when you get anywhere near 45deg, so the answer is quite simples...make an elevated runway:

.... or purchase a Veritas Mk II honing guide!

For goodness sake, stop mucking about - get the guide that was designed to deal with BU blades!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Or just do it freehand and get back to doing a bit of woodwork instead of messing about. :lol: :lol:

.... or purchase a Veritas Mk II honing guide!

For goodness sake, stop mucking about - get the guide that was designed to deal with BU blades!!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Derek...the better part of £60 or 5p's worth of oddsn'sods out the scrap box? Bit of a no brainer really - Rob

But Rob, the Kell is about £50 .... so what are you saving?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Agreed, Derek, but the KIII is my guide of choice and will do all my stuff so I'd be loathe to switch...(again :evil: ) and is well suited (in my view anyway) for use with the 3M films - Rob

Latest posts

Back