• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Raising effective pitch on low angle Bevel up planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

jonnb

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking around for some time...

I was recently watching a David Charlesworth DVD - 'Furniture Techniques' (I hope he's well on the road to recovery now), in which he said that a low angle bevel up plane can be used on difficult woods by raising the effective pitch. He does this by honing the blade at an angle of 58 degrees - combined with the bedding angle of 12 degrees, this gives an effective pitch of 70 degrees...

The question I have is: how can this be done? If I try to reduce the blade projection in my basic honing guide to allow for a 58 degree angle, the wheel no longer works and the base of the honing guide scrapes along the stone... I was curious to know whether anyone out there knows how to solve this problem. Perhaps a different honing guide would allow for such steep angles, but then things like the Veritas seem to have much wider wheels which would presumably make achieving a camber difficult...

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully recieved!

jonnb

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply Derek. your website is certainly a mine of useful information - I'll have to have a good look through it now!

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Freehand at 60º ish. Really easy to do. Doesn't have to be accurate to a degree, for your purposes

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
:D easier with a bevel down (oops, that goes against the hype.)
Just the same approx bevel as used for the main bezel, so hands are already used to doing it.

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
dunbarhamlin":17p0varf said:
easier with a bevel down (oops, that goes against the hype.)
Doesn't stop it being true though! :D

This is one of the things I like about the wheels on Kell guides being off to the sides. You can rip a straight board in two, put one half under each wheel and hone any angle you like up to almost 90.

Up here for thinking, down there for dancing!

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently had this dilemma as well. As Matthew has pointed out, the Richard Kell No. 2 guide can handle the task although it is more difficult than honing a more conventional angle. To get the bevel I used two steel rules as my wheel raiser; one normal steel rule and a very thin mini ruler I also use for the back bevel "ruler trick".

Also, keep in mind that for a BU plane you'll need a more pronounced camber to the blade.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I use the Kell III guide and the problem is that:

it 'grounds' when you get anywhere near 45deg, so the answer is quite simples...make an elevated runway:

so that it can be slid along from one grit film to the next. This one has been made using two strips of 6mm mdf and as a test the last pic shows one of my gash LV A2 blades being 'honed' at an:

angle far greater than 45deg - Rob

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
it 'grounds' when you get anywhere near 45deg, so the answer is quite simples...make an elevated runway:
.... or purchase a Veritas Mk II honing guide!

For goodness sake, stop mucking about - get the guide that was designed to deal with BU blades!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Or just do it freehand and get back to doing a bit of woodwork instead of messing about. :lol: :lol:

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
.... or purchase a Veritas Mk II honing guide!

For goodness sake, stop mucking about - get the guide that was designed to deal with BU blades!!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Derek...the better part of £60 or 5p's worth of oddsn'sods out the scrap box? Bit of a no brainer really - Rob

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
But Rob, the Kell is about £50 .... so what are you saving?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Agreed, Derek, but the KIII is my guide of choice and will do all my stuff so I'd be loathe to switch...(again :evil: ) and is well suited (in my view anyway) for use with the 3M films - Rob

jonnb

Reaction score
As ever, it looks like there are several ways of skinning this cat...