Raising a bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to raise a bed from floor level to just under 2m high. The bed posts are 50x50 at present, so my idea was to just get some 50x50 of suitable length
to raise the height of the bed.

I'll also be putting in some bars to stop the occupant rolling out of the bed in the middle of the night.

For added security, the bed will be bolted to the wall(solid) at the headboard and also anchored along the length on one side to a stud wall.

However any suggestions as to how to joint the leg extensions, not really have any idea as to what is the most sensible way.

Thanks.

I would make the unsupported leg out of 3x3 timber tapered to 2x2 at the top?

Cheers James

Why not use short lengths of 50mm x 50mm box section aluminium/steel . to join and extend the lengths. It would reinforce the joint and could be screwed to hold in place. You could also reduce the overall size of the legs slightly to achieve a flush fit. If I remember you get 50mm aluminium thats 2mm thick so legs would have to be taken down to 46mm.

Without seeing a picture of the bed its impossible to say but I am thinking a bed 2m up on spindly 50mm legs is unsafe. Another issue will be wracking stress. The bed design will be for the current short legs and will not handle the massive increase in sideways stress without decent bracing of some kind.
Regards
John

I would be inclined to get (say) 8ft 3x3 "legs" and bolt the existing legs to them with an overlap of 2ft. I would also secure the extension legs to the wall - not just the existing headboard and side frame.

Some bracing on the legs may be sensible, if for no other reason than legs unsupported by the walls could easily be kicked or knocked out of vertical. The existing bed frame is probably not capable of taking the stress of being supported on three legs (effectively the head and one side)

Assuming the bed is for a growing child or teen with the intention to create storage or play area below, a fall of 6ft to the floor would at least be uncomfortable and possibly seriously damaging.

Thanks for the replies, I'll just sort new legs out with bracing etc. As any other option just seems more trouble than it's worth.

I had a high bed for my daughters and son. Steel framed from ikea. They loved the den I built under it. My son used it for his gaming on his pc. Its amazing how much more useable space you get. I fitted some down lights as well as it was a bit dark, It may be too much of a project but you could build a small open cabin structure with roof and put the bed on top. It would also give you storage under the bed as well.

Back