Raised Panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Pity they went bankrupt earlier this year, but I do have an amazingly cheap selection of router bits now! I'm a bit worried about using the panel raising bit though - vertical mounted and I don't possess a shaper. Anyone any experience of using such a massive chunk of metal in their router? For a start, my biggest is only 2HP and I don't think it'll be up to the job on any decent hardwoods. Unless I do multiple passes...

Thoughts?

Hi WHW,

You should NEVER just make one cut with a panel raising cutter in a router.

The router must be in a table and you need a variable speed router as a ~3" cutter should only be spun at <10,000 rpm.
You should only take 1/8" to 1/4" cuts by moving the fence or raising the cutter for each pass.
You many need to make a false top for your router table if the hole in it will not allow the large cutter in pass down through it.
I have done this for my Trend table and have raised panels in cherry using my B&Q router with an Axminster Perform cutter set. :D

Hi DaveL. This cutter isn't 3", it's about 1 1/4 " diameter and just over 2" tall (plus shank) -- it sits vertically, not horizontally. Consequently the panel is cut vertically, too -- needs a nice tall fence. If I could figure out how to put a jpg in here I could show you. It fits the router table no problem, of course, and can spin at full speed (if necessary). And, of course I would make multiple cuts (my comment was tongue in cheek). I saw the result of someone trying to cut a piece of walnut in one pass on a 5HP shaper table once - the piece of wood in question flew a good 30 feet across the workshop before smashing a cupboard door. The 'operator' couldn't hold it against the cutting forces and was lucky to not lose his hand(s)...

Incidentally, the cutter was made by Carb-Tech and cost me less than $20

These last three posts were on the tail end of the US/Canadian/Overseas thread and as Brian (AKA Whitehouse Workshop) wanted a picture posted to further a discussion with Dave, thought it better to start a new thread, so here's Brian's cutter:
MVC-001FBrianNailer1.jpg

Vertical (as opposed to the more common horizontal) raised panel cutter made by Carb-tec.

Noel, spokesperson for Whitehouse Workshop Inc.......

Vertical or horizontal, the technique's still the same... end grain before long grain and take multiple fine passes. Personally I use a Freud horizontal bit with a back stop to minimise tear out... never had a prob with it. That said, it's a bit that commands respect.

I'm not so sure that a 2 horse router's gonna have enough puff to avoid doing itself an injury when raising panels; it's an operation that removes a lot of material before you're through... My Freud always makes light work of it...

Back