Raised panel Router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorebens

Reaction score
Hello,
Ive just bought a raised panel door set, could someone please tell me what 1-5/8" refers to on the stile and rail cutters.
Also can I change the thickness of the rails/ stiles? Currently the timber needs to be 23mm for the cutters to remove the right amount from either side.
Regards
Ben

I have now figured it out and i realise what a stupid question it was, the 1 -5/8" refers to the size of the bit.
BUT what thickness of timber should one use? and can this be varied, im asuming with shims etc the thickness of the rails and stiles can be altered but how will this affect the 3-1/2" raised panel bit!!!!

When I bought a router tabel I thought it would all be straight forward, I was sooo wrong,

The raised panel cutter height is adjusted in the table to give the 6mm thickness at the edge of the raised panel to suit the recess in the rail. The thickness of the rails and stiles doesn't impact the size of the slot that is fixed by the size of the rail and stile cutter set.
You may find you need to construct a false base and fence for your router table if the rp cutter diameter is larger than the diameter of the table centre.
HTH John

Attachments

• Raised Panel Cutter Fence.jpg
    Raised Panel Cutter Fence.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 56
Back