raised panel doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi! does anyone know the easiest way to make raised panels using the Ferm site saw? the one with the lousy fences!!
Thanks (I think)

Alf

Good description of how to do it by hand, although what springs to mind is the end grain, wouldn't you need one of those expensive planes to tackle that.

Panel raising bit is the way I go, mine came as a set with the stile and rail bits. PP if you choose that route make sure that you reduce your router speed, this bit is quite chunky.

Waka

Waka":1bl2nilk said:
Good description of how to do it by hand, although what springs to mind is the end grain, wouldn't you need one of those expensive planes to tackle that.
Nope (though of course I'm ab-so-lute-ly not trying to put anyone off buying one... :wink: ), just a sharp blade.

Cheers, Alf

I've raised panels using a supplimentary table on top of the table saw with fences at 45° to the saw then raised the blade slightly for each pass to produce a curved section on the panel. This is an extremely dangerous way but in both cases, a random orbital sander prooves it's worth for removing saw marks.

Thanks for all replies, I think I'll leave them a bit, the router method seems best, but don't need the doors until after the present project,so once again, Thanks.

Pepperpicker,
It's just a matter of getting a useful fence to the other side of the blade, here's how I did it:-
Remove mitre box from fence, turn fence end for end then lay it down with widest surface on bench, cut a piece of mdf to approx 400mm x 200mm, drill & countersink 2 holes to take m6 countersunk bolts, push the bolts through the holes and loosely put the nuts on then thread the nuts through into the channel in the fence,put the mitre box back on the fence and tighten up.
This method means that the guard has to be removed so be very careful. Hope this helps,
Pip

Latest posts

Back