Raised Beds : Oak Framing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Took a break from building the shed as SWMBO wanted one of the raised beds completed so she can get the garlic in for next year. It was nice to take a break to be honest and working with the heavy gauge oak sleepers was a different skill set, which was nice.

The spot for the bed was part of the boy's messy kitchen and overshadowed by a Eucalyptus tree. The tree was in a bad location so the job started off by felling, chopping up, splitting, and stacking the wood to dry. After reading about Eucalyptus on here I didn't even think about trying to plank and season it. The tree was only about 15yrs old but already had a 20cm diameter trunk, felling with a hatchet was a laugh but hard graft. Anyhow the plot was cleared and the sleepers moved into position to check swmbo was happy with the space the bed would take up.
01 Plot Cleared.JPG

02 Sleepers.JPG

Half lap cutouts were marked up trying to eliminate the worst of any splitting and locate wane inside the bed where it won't be seen.
03 Marked Cuts.JPG

Half laps were cut with a hand saw as I had no way of manuvering the sleepers to the band saw, at 70-80kg each they are on my limit to manhandle, let alone manouver with any degree of fidelity. Cross cuts were ok but rip cuts were very hard work, mainly as I don't have a rip saw.
04 Half Laps.JPG

Had the brainwave of splitting out the waste and paring back to the line, way easier than sawing, just wish i'd thought of it on the first half dozen!
05 Splitting.JPG

I'd hewn some peg blanks from an offcut of a sleeper a few months back and dried them inside the house.
06 Hewn Pegs.JPG

I made a jig to make the pegs round. Traditionally pegs are cut with a draw knife, which i dont have, so I cut a 'v' in a sleeper off cut with a rebate plane, added a baton to the back to hook onto the edge of the table and a low planing stop to make a reverse bench hook. I later drilled a test hole to check the peg size as I planed.
07 Peg Jig.JPG

Rough blanks were placed on the jig and planed, turned, planed, turned etc etc until the peg became round. It was pretty easy to eye ball them round and true.
08 Peg Plane.JPG

Checking for size.
09 Sizing.JPG

I need about a dozen pegs that took under an hour to complete, it was a really satisfying job making them and they came up better than i imagined.
10 Pegs.JPG

cont next post.

Attachments

• 01 Plot Cleared.JPG
    01 Plot Cleared.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 02 Sleepers.JPG
    02 Sleepers.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 03 Marked Cuts.JPG
    03 Marked Cuts.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 04 Half Laps.JPG
    04 Half Laps.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 05 Splitting.JPG
    05 Splitting.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 06 Hewn Pegs.JPG
    06 Hewn Pegs.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 07 Peg Jig.JPG
    07 Peg Jig.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 08 Peg Plane.JPG
    08 Peg Plane.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 09 Sizing.JPG
    09 Sizing.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 10 Pegs.JPG
    10 Pegs.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 1,325
Beds were squared up and held in place with a couple of clamps, holes were bored and pegs drive in.
12 Joining.JPG

Pegs flush cut. Pegs dried inside the house should swell a bit an lock everything in place, although they are already very tight.
13 Peg Fit.JPG

A couple of half laps need cut and the top level of sleepers pegged in place and together and job's a good 'un.
14 Nearly Done.JPG

Thoroughly enjoyed my little foray into oak framing, looking forwards to reading the oak framing thread on here that was promised a few weeks back. Now back to the shed windows and shed construction. 'Winter is coming'

F.

Attachments

• 12 Joining.JPG
    12 Joining.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 13 Peg Fit.JPG
    13 Peg Fit.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 14 Nearly Done.JPG
    14 Nearly Done.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 1,320
The oak framing thread will come! I am just snowed under at work currently and have not had time to downsize the pictures from RAW.

Back