Railway sleeper table/unit photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smouser

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my second woodwork project and I used Jarrah railway sleepers, it is in my study as a table/storage for books and crates etc.

The original plan was to use it as a tv cabinet but I didn't like the open sides with cables visible from the AV equipment so it went into my study instead.
I really like the way it turned out as I love the roughness and character of the railway sleepers. All the holes you can see is where train tracks were originally fixed onto the sleeper.

Tell me what you think.

You can find larger images at the bottom to the album link

Wood cut into planks
prmNFLpl.jpg

7lcLQtPl.jpg

Mock up
Qbc1ZzIl.jpg

Table top
DLWIRPBl.jpg

BTClUuKl.jpg

HiAyUeUl.jpg

IhX4giml.jpg

4Jfqo9ul.jpg

In place
YGeBeogl.jpg

tFMuUZXl.jpg

Album link http://imgur.com/a/lFK6c

chairs, the things that were bolted to the sleepers to hold the rails are called chairs. So the holes in your table are where the chairs go.

whiskywill":11ot49wx said:
I like that..... a lot. Did you bandsaw it into slices?
Some of it I used a underpowered bandsaw, hard work and tough on blades. Some of it I used a table saw to make 2 cuts, I have to flip them to get right through. Cutting them is by far the hardest part.

mseries":11ot49wx said:
chairs, the things that were bolted to the sleepers to hold the rails are called chairs. So the holes in your table are where the chairs go.
Thanks!

by the way, I like the table. I like the deep texture of the wood, I like that it's reclaimed and I like that one can still tell it's reclaimed sleepers. And I like railways.

What an excellent job! Looks a bit posh, like rosewood!
I particularly like the contrasting combination of the top pieces, It goes really well with the the overall finish you have used. Regards Rodders

Thanks, it was a necessity.
Only one of the sleepers and only on one side had that weathered look so I was forced to either make the table very narrow or infill the middle with wood that looks different.

Back