Railway sleeper mirror frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smouser

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a mirror frame out of reclaimed sleepers.

From this
lH8NccZl.jpg

To this

A1ndNTjl.jpg

You can see the full album and my dodgy methods here.
http://imgur.com/a/aTIvn

I've seen that coffee table before, That must have been you're previous post, or some dirty dog has nicked you're finishing technique.
It's really nice stuff, do some more!
Regards Rodders

PS, Who, or how do you cut the sleepers?

cracking job that. You've really captured the character of the age in the sleepers yet got it looking fresh at the same time. Nice work. That would sell for hundreds in an antique shop.

blackrodd":57mutopk said:

I cut them myself on my table saw. I can get 100mm max depth of cut and by cutting from both sides I can get 200mm wide planks. It is not ideal and the cuts never line up 100% because the sleepers are never 100% square. I wish I had a big heavy duty saw with a massive blade. It would make everything so much easier.

a lot of folk cross cut sleepers with a chainsaw. Careful marking of two faces at right angles and judicious holding and care can produce surprisingly acceptable results with what's clearly a rough tool in normal use. Or of course just by hand. Ripping...bit more tricky :) That's where a decent quality bandsaw comes into its own.

Yes I did try with a chainsaw but, you lose allot of wood with the thickness of the chainsaw and because the sleepers are full of grit etc the blades dull quickly. I then tried on my underpowered bandsaw, I think it is 1.5kw it was very slow going and again the blades dull fairly quickly. TCT circular blades are really the only way to go with these old sleepers according to my experiences.

Very nice. Rico would be pleased with that. I hope you've got a good strong wall to hang it on!

Smouser":8o3wild8 said:
blackrodd":8o3wild8 said:

I cut them myself on my table saw. I can get 100mm max depth of cut and by cutting from both sides I can get 200mm wide planks. It is not ideal and the cuts never line up 100% because the sleepers are never 100% square. I wish I had a big heavy duty saw with a massive blade. It would make everything so much easier.

Have you considered screwing on another board of some kind on the back that is both flat and square to run on the fence? As you seem to use these sleepers a lot, it might pay you to rig up a board or sled of some kind, that will work normally and inverted.

Back